160 or 180 degree thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 or 180 degree thermostat

I live in Wichita, Kansas where we get hot and sticky summers and mild to cold winters. I would like to get a lower degree thermostat and I was curious if the 160 degree might be too low and would take awhile for my engine to warm up during the winter. Is this true? Any information about both thermostats would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I drive a 97 Camaro 3.8. Thanks.
    1997 A4 Red Camaro 3.8 <br />SLP CAI

Re: 160 or 180 degree thermostat

yes, a 160 thermo will take forever to warm up in winter.

i think ym car has one, and it takes 10 minutes of constant driving to start getting warm, my dads car gets warm in the first few min

Comment

a few people have dyno'd and I believe they found when running at 180 they saw the best gains.

Comment

I have 185, never had a problem with it
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

i have a 160 in my 1997, no problems here. Takes like 3 more minutes to blow heat, no biggy.

I got a brand new 160* hypertech thermo sitting here if you want it. $15 shipped I will let it go for.

For more info on thermostats, use the search feature and you will get piles of threads on it. Lots of info there about the gains/differences of each.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I have a 180 changing to a 160 becouse Im getting cpu programed they say too low well throw a code low temp unless cpu is redone

Comment

160* only throw codes on the new ones and need to be tuned for them, like 00+ or something, can't remember the year that they started not liking them.

Comment

yeah, i went with a 180. its sitting in my garage waiting to get put in. i wasnt in the mood to throw a code, and i heard the 180 isnt much worse than 160.
                2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                2006 S60- Sold
                2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Yea someone told me that if u get a 160 , that it wont run right and your car will perform worse and will have horrible MPG. ...i might be interested in that thermostat ..97rs..

Comment

just let me know. paypal is travis.dyke@hope.edu

Comment

i had the 160 in my old one..... that thing too years to warm up..... i put the 180 in my current one a couple weeks ago.... i havnt had a winter with it yet.... sorry :-)

Comment

If I bought a 180, I just swap it out with the stock thermo right? No reprogramming or anything needed? I was told that then my car has to be reprogrammed to run at that temp.....
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                          If I bought a 180, I just swap it out with the stock thermo right? No reprogramming or anything needed? I was told that then my car has to be reprogrammed to run at that temp.....

no thats just dumb ... the themostat just opens up at a cooler temp.... now the fans still dont turn on to something like 210 i believe, but u could get it reprogramed for that, but i dont see the point..... maybe a manual fan switch since our fans are electrical and not belt driven.... but no.... not true at all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X