problem with hot starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with hot starting

my car starts up fine when its cold, but after i have been driving it and i try to turn it on again it becomes alot harder to start and it takes a lot longer. it also
    almost sounds like it is going to die.

Re: problem with hot starting

Mine seems to do the same thing as well as another person's who I know. I have asked around on the board but nothing seems to be the solution. What motor do you have? Both I know that do it are 3.4's.

Comment

my 3.8 does it aswell

Comment

a virus is going around then lol. mine randomly wont start with everything checking out a-ok, cold or hot

Comment

i have a 3.4

Comment

I noticed how my car would always heat up when i was idling in traffic, so i installed a manual fan switch and it did the job. car starts up fine now when its hot

Comment

OMG, I had the SAME problem with my 91, but it was a 305 TPI. I never found out what the problem was, but the next owner informed me that he wrapped his starter with header wrap and he didnt have anymore problems.

Comment

I dont know how well this applies to the Chevy's but with my Thunderbird I had this problem constantly! Cold it would fire up no problem but if the car had been driven and warmed up when you tried to start it again it would fire up and then die as the RPM's came down. After some research and a couple opinions I was told this was a fuel injector/fuel system issue. Something like the injectors wouldnt hold pressure when warmed up or a possible leak or a problem with the FPR. I checked the ignition thinking it might be a spark problem but it was getting plenty of spark and plenty of air... Since the car has 72k on the clock and the stock injectors were junk anyways I went ahead and replaced everything from the pump to the injectors quite a few months ago and havent had a single problem since then.

Hope this helps.

Comment

think its in the ignition system. As it gets hotter, it starts losing the ability to fire. That tends to be the case with ignition anyway as it wears...it takes more energy to fire when hot as the resistance increases. Have the coils checked since theyre easiest to reach of the ignition system. Then work your way to the plugs. If the plugs are old, it could be that. I also had a problem once where my number 8 valve seal was leaking oil onto the plug and fouling it up...though that would probably start to become evident even in winter. It was more of a constant misfire as it got worse. But something to check out maybe.

Comment

i just changed the spark plugs and wires recently but it started to happen before i did them so that cant be the problem.

Comment

have u had the coils checked

Comment

nope, how would i go about doing that? im not too great with engines, could i do it myself?
                        Last edited by jeffkiernan; 08-19-2006, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X