EGR Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Question

I have been chasing a misfiring and backfiring problem for a while now on my 3.4 bird. I noticed recently air escaping from the EGR. When I went to look at it, the metal flex hose that connects to the EGR from the manifold fell out from the EGR because the end of it was strippped and twisted . Also the metal bracket that holds the EGR to the back of the starter was only connected to the EGR, so it was just hanging there. That let the EGR move around quite a bit insted of being tight. Anyways, This was obviously where the air was coming from which I think could explain misfiring, loss of power, and small backfiring?? if so, can I buy these metal flex hoses some where cause this one is kind of beyond repair :)

Re: EGR Question

i would just put a blockoff plate on the manifold and that will solve your problems

Comment

^^^Agree
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Well the exhaust runs from the EGR to the manifold doesnt it? wouldnt I have to block both? If so what difference would it make running with the EGR compared to without it? :)

Comment

Nevermind , my bad it runs from the manifold to the egr...but still...whats the difference with or without it??

Comment

Originally posted by jared_drivebird
            Nevermind , my bad it runs from the manifold to the egr...but still...whats the difference with or without it??
            you said it more correctly the first time.
            EGR takes in exhaust gasses from the exhaust manifold and dumps them into the upper intake manifold
            you will want to block off both

you will loose 1mpg
            you will gain a max of 9rwhp (i have proof)
            and you will barely increase your emissions
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

interesting... i blew out my egr gasket when my cat clogged a few months ago. maybe ill look into this "mod"

Comment

its not something you would want to do
                its best to keep the egr until it goes bad

oh yea, another positive about the !EGR mod, is you wont have carbon gunk clogging up your intakes and heads
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

okay, well just to start with I disconnected the flex pipe from the manifold and blocked it off. I DIDNT block it off at the EGR just the manifold... When I started it again it still idled rough and there was no suction or blowing of air from the pipe still connected to the EGR. BUT at the base of the EGR (bottom of the metal sleeve that fits around it) I can hear quiet backfiring at idle...

Comment

you cant just say "manifold" cause there are 2 manifolds: intake manifold and exhaust manifold
                    you cant just say "pipe" cause there are 2 different pipes: the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold, and the pipe going to the intake manifold.
                    BE MORE SPECIFIC, I thought we already went over this

Comment

The flex pipe I disconnected is the one going to the intake manifold. I blocked off the intake manifold and left the flex pipe open. The only other thing I see connected to the EGR is the electrical at the top. It sounds like exhaust is leaking at the base of the EGR and it makes a popping sound. There is no pressure coming out of the flex pipe. It is still rough idling and backfiring...no change.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1534881 EGR Valve

Comment

After I disconnected it and blocked it at the manifold it didnt do any good so I put it back together the correct way again.

Comment

ah, we all thought that your pipe coming from the exhaust manifold was the bad one, you want to really block off both in that case, and its not backfiring, its leaking

Comment

where exactly do I block off this manifold. Do I have to remove the EGR to do that. Please be patient with me im new to this area. I really wanna get this fixed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X