severe drop in gas milage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severe drop in gas milage

i've got a problem. Ever since I had my intake put in a few months ago I was averaging about 310 miles per tank of gas...... and ever since I had new tires put on the car 2 weeks ago, I average *maybe* 250 miles per tank.

I know it has nothing to do with the tires... Maybe my O2 sensor is going?
    So yeah... if anyone has any suggestions, please, suggest them.
    thank you!:)

2000 V6 3.8L 75,000 mi

Re: severe drop in gas milage

I had new tires put on and saw a big drop in milage as well. Engine is also running a little rough though. I Dont know what could be going wrong.
    Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Did you change make/model/size of the tire you had on before?
      Check air pressure, and how is your alingment and balance.. If any of that is off it will cost you a little, and over a full tank I guess it could be possible. Remember that some tires weigh more than others, and sticky tires cost millage a bit, so do wide tires.

If you think a senor might be going out or gone, got an SES light? Check your spark plugs and see what they look like, easiest way without tools to find out if your motor is running lean or rich. If it is either check plugs, wires, if they look good go to your iat and o2 sensors, after that you may have weak ignition coils. But if this was the issue, you should have been seeing small changes some on for a bit instead of poof when you changed your tires.
      1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

this is interesting... i also had the rotors replaced about the same time this started... I went for about a 5 minute drive just now, when I got back I put my hand near each brake to see if any of them were hotter than the others and the front driver's side was WAY hotter than the other 3. What the heck?

Comment

haha i had this same problem lay off the gas pedal :P

Comment

Originally posted by s4983
            this is interesting... i also had the rotors replaced about the same time this started... I went for about a 5 minute drive just now, when I got back I put my hand near each brake to see if any of them were hotter than the others and the front driver's side was WAY hotter than the other 3. What the heck?
            Eh that sounds like poorly installed brakes to me!

Comment

just the front driver's side though??

Comment

oh jesus tap dancing christ... theres your damn problem right there. the calipers are seized. the old brakes were worn down so it didnt even really brake. now that you got new pads, theres nothing to do but grind.
                EDIT: and yes, if the caliper is seized it can only affect one wheel. only thing is, if you replace the driver caliper, you gotta replace the passenger one too. dont ask me why, but i've been told that all my life.
                2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                  oh jesus tap dancing christ... theres your damn problem right there. the calipers are seized. the old brakes were worn down so it didnt even really brake. now that you got new pads, theres nothing to do but grind.
                  EDIT: and yes, if the caliper is seized it can only affect one wheel. only thing is, if you replace the driver caliper, you gotta replace the passenger one too. dont ask me why, but i've been told that all my life.
                  YES! because you want calipers that are balanced and new on each end, otherwise when you hit your brakes the car can pull really bad to a side.

Comment

oh jesus tap dancing christ...
                    haha

Okay well here's the thing.

#1. My boyfriend and I jacked the car up last night and spun the front tire and it spins just fine, but we heard this light rubbing sound ever so slightly each time it went around. That's probably nothing... I'm sure all the tires make that sound. I tried the brakes as he spun it and the brakes are working perfectly.

#2. They are the OLD brake pads which I've had for about 5 months.

:(
                    Last edited by s4983; 08-12-2006, 01:30 PM.

Comment

My stock tires were the 215/60/16... but I replaced them with 245/45/17

Would that really make THAT big of a difference in gas mileage or is there probably something wrong?

Comment

how big of a difference are you talking?

Comment

18 mpg to 14 mpg. The only mod has been new tires and new rotors

Comment

Did you replace the brake pads also bc maybe one or both of them is rubbing. Just a suggestion.

Comment

no they are the same brake pads i have had them for 5 months or so

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X