Switching oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching oils

Today i went from regular 10w30 oils to a full syntetic maxlife. My motor had 87k on it and i was just wondering what i should check for leaks. i heard alot about switching will cause leakes. what do i look for. it seems fine for right now. and how do i get my oil analyzed.
    98 Mystic Teal Camaro
    Mods: FRA, K&N, Clears corners, runing lights, billet grille, All blue interior leds, All four highbeam mod, Halos

Re: Switching oils

Can I ask why you switched to synthetic? The most important, no matter what motor oil you use is to change it every 3,000 miles and to stick with the same motor oil. My dad's honda just turned 300,000 and he has always used the cheap oil from the gas station. The only leaking he has is the gasket around his drain plug. I have stuck to castrol gtx since I got my camaro. Personally, I think the best thing to do is choose a motor oil you like, and stick with it at every oil change. But I am not familiar with oil and additives and all that. I am just recommending things from personal experience. So don't take my word on your choice of motor oil. I am sure there are others on the forums that are much more knowledgeable in this field. Good luck =)

Comment

blackstone labs does testing. I have a free test kit they send you.
      I doubt it will leak if you only have 87k miles
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

it should be fine, i switched from regular 10w30 to the exact same oil, valvoline maxlife synthetic and i have no leaks....131,000.

Comment

switched to royal purple at 137k and the only leak i can find was the drainplug gasket, but my valve cover gaskets were just done prior, i wouldnt worry about it, if any leaks surface they should be fixed dino or synthetic alike, i would prefer my motor be clean and leaking than dirty with the leaks gunked up, thats just my .02 though

Comment

no leaks at ~120 here.. i got the car at 108, switched to 3.5 quarts of mobile one syn 10w 30 and 1 quart of lucas.....

Comment

Yeah it does, go look at it. Its more like a washer, but a gasket is acceptable terminology.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

i looked at mine, its kinda like a built-in rubber washer
                its built in so i didnt see it
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X