Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertech 180 Degree Thermostat

Hi.

I have a 01 Camaro and I was think of a cheap way to make a little bit more hp by getting a Hypertech 180 Degree Thermostat. I don't know if is really wroth changing it or If I do change it do I notice a little gain out of it? I live in Boston so winters are brutal down here.

Re: Hypertech 180 Degree Thermostat

will you notice a difference? Probably not until you change your fan settings in your PCM for the lower stat or install a manual fan switch. You will still get up to 210 in traffic due to the fans not kicking on until later. The thermostat will just open sooner and slow the engine from getting as hot as quickly. Stock temp is 195* so you are only changing it 15* degrees.

It still is better than the 195* stock one though for your engine. Just to get the best return on your purchase you would want to have a way to adjust the fans to come on earlier
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i have a cheap 185, and i can tell you, you will notice no change other then a cooler running engine. I recommend doing it only for a cooler running engine, not for "more power"
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72
        i have a cheap 185, and i can tell you, you will notice no change other then a cooler running engine. I recommend doing it only for a cooler running engine, not for "more power"
        this is true
        but if you have a cooler engine, you can probably add slightly more timing.
        I need to document a test, to show the difference in timing from a stock 195*F thermo, to a 160*F thermo
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

you can get a thermo for like 7-8 bucks from an auto parts store. its a good price and definately worth it. besides hp and timing and all that, if its running cooler, that means at the very least, less thermal breakdown in the oil. dont even bother online. theres no such thing as a "performance" thermo #1 and #2 you'll probably wind up paying more in shipping than the darn thing costs.
          2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

true
            I heard that gm intentionally made these newer engines to run best at hotter temps. (dont know how true that is)
            Just wanted to say that Intense is giving out free thermos with a order(160 or 180 only)
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
              you can get a thermo for like 7-8 bucks from an auto parts store. its a good price and definately worth it. besides hp and timing and all that, if its running cooler, that means at the very least, less thermal breakdown in the oil. dont even bother online. theres no such thing as a "performance" thermo #1 and #2 you'll probably wind up paying more in shipping than the darn thing costs.
              Well yea you can probably get a 180 or 185 from an auto parts store, but you can't get 160* thermostats there. I have checked all mine before to see if they carried any.
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help you guys. I'm going to buy a thermo this weekend, and I'll see who she runs. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                  Well yea you can probably get a 180 or 185 from an auto parts store, but you can't get 160* thermostats there. I have checked all mine before to see if they carried any.

o'reilly has 160s

Comment

I put a 180 in and set the fans to it and i noticed 0% differance. Not performance or temp. In my opinion if your going to change your stat use a 160 or dont bother.

Comment

If you have a tuner, it is best to use a drilled 180º. If you dont have a tuner and you want your car to run cooler with no PCM modification (but would def help), get a 160º.

Some parts stores carry 160º thermos, some dont. I know my Autozone carries them, so give them a try if you want on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X