180* Thermostat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180* Thermostat question

I just installed a 180* thermostat in my car....I also just put 275/40/17s on the car (from 255/50/16s).

Now, I've lost about 2-3mpg.

I noticed on my 3.4 that when I put the 180* thermostat in it, the fuel mileage also dropped.

Anyboy else see this, or know why, anything to look at, etc.

The 3.8s minimum open loop temp is 104*, so I know that's not the problem.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

I have not done the math on this (you did change the tire size) so it is just speculation, but maybe you haven't lost any mpg at all. Maybe all you need to do is recalibrate the speedometer.
    2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

I figured out what it is. I hooked the scanner (Ease) up on the way to work tonight.

It's the f***ing traction control. I used to be able to get 35-42* of advance at cruise, now I'm getting 25-30*. I was looking at the Traction Control, and the Traction Control Desired Torque was showing 100%, but at cruise, the Traction Control Delivered Torque was at 55-60%.

If I let off the gas, to basically coasting with light throttle, the advance went to 42*, and the Traction Control Delivered Torque went to 71%.

So, I'm going to try resetting the PCM tonight (I haven't reset it since I changed the thermostat, wheels, etc.), and see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, then I'm stumped.

Oh yeah, when I've been figuring my gas mileage since I changed my tires, I've been figuring in the difference for tire size (2%).
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

weight differences in the rims and tires you just put on
        Mike<br /><a href=\"http://www.my99firebird.gq.nu\" target=\"_blank\">www.my99firebird.gq.nu</a>

Comment

Why would the torque management reduce timing because of wheel/tire weight, or even know what the wheel/tire weight is?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X