Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, smoke, gas smell, stuttering

Ok i've got a real doozy

I recently replaced an ignition coil that was bad to fix a misfire and the car ran fine for a week, then it starts a similar misfire (loss of power, car shaking, struggling idle)

but, here are the additional symptoms

VERY strong gas smell in the exhaust

bluish/whitish smoke.

gas smell in the top of the engine.

I've already checked or replaced most of the ignition system, anyone had this happen or can you shed any light on this?
    1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Just checked the fuel pressure and it was 35 psi @ idle.

Also, one the quick-connect fuel fittings was not tight it was loose to the touch (not undone, just loose when the system is under pressure) and the car is not retaing any kind of fuel pressure after i turn it off.

Any ideas guys????
    1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

35 seems kinda low for idle, blue smoke-rings going white smoke-head gasket, combo of two-?

What is fuel pressure koeo?

I don't think engine is getting enough fuel. any codes to go along w/symptoms?
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

im guess koeo is key on engine off?
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go:
          35 seems kinda low for idle, blue smoke-rings going white smoke-head gasket, combo of two-?

What is fuel pressure koeo?

I don't think engine is getting enough fuel. any codes to go along w/symptoms?
          <hr></blockquote>

Lemme add this too, i'm using waaay to much fuel when i drive and it smells like fuel inside the car and out. It seems like the car is dumping fuel into the engine.

There's something wrong with my code scan port, besides i have OBD I so i'd have to take it somewhere.

I don't think it's a head gasket, the temp is pretty constant on the low side

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: MississippiMaro ]</p>

Comment

I think it's your tps. when I was spiiting soot out the tail pipe. the tps was off big time. just a few adjustments hooked it up real good.

Was doing this, but feeling much better now :eek:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

This is kinda different, I know it's some kind of fuel prob. I just don't know what.

My likely candidates are

Fuel Pump
              Fuel Pressure Regulator
              Fuel Injector
              Fuel Lines

But i don't know what or how to test these other than a pressure test.

Comment

I have the SAME problems. BUT, I also have problems starting the car up. I have a burnt valve which has now caused it to stick open and dump fuel thru my TB into my air silencer.

Take off the air silencer and see if you have any fuel swishing around in there. Also look at the MAF screen and see if you smell or see burnt fuel. Then get a simple pressure test to verify your findings [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

This is a 3.4 no MAF and i don't know if there's an air silencer

Comment

check your MAP sensor then, like she's asking, see if the fpr is letting fuel get sucked into the intake manifold thru the vacuum line.
                    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Where is the MAP on the 3.4? on the plastic intake tube?

Comment

TTT

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MississippiMaro:
                          Where is the MAP on the 3.4? on the plastic intake tube?<hr></blockquote>

its on the back of the plenum on the passenger side, it screws into the plenum with 2 long bolts and has a vaccum line going into it from the bottom
                          -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

will a MAP failure or a vacuum leak here cause the fuel system to dump waay too much fuel into the engine?

Comment

check the vaccum line going to the fuel pressure regulator..

then go somewhere and have it professionally scanned, focus on tps reading and injector pulse..

had a friend with a vette and a wire was grounding out it was causing a similar problem, anyway wire that was grounding out went to the injectors and was causing them to stay open..

you aren't going to get to the bottom of this without hooking it to a diag tool, unless you start throwing random parts at it and luck out and get the right part...
                              -Brad
                              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                              :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X