Very Difficult Starting Car After Heavy Rain - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Difficult Starting Car After Heavy Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Difficult Starting Car After Heavy Rain

Hello everyone. I have a 1994 Firebird V6, 3.4. It has about 180,000 miles on it and other than a few minor things here and there, it runs great.

The problem I have now is that anytime I go to start the car after a heavy rain, it is very difficult to start. You turn the key, you hear the starter trying to move, but just get a clunk.....wait 30-45 seconds, try again this time it gets a little further turning a few times before going clunk again, like it doesn't have the strength to turn the gear. After trying this repeatedly the car finally starts and the engine which typically runs smooth, runs rough for a few minuites.

This problem only happens after a rain, all other times the car starts and runs beautifully. Also the Battery is kindof new (about 1 year) and is one of the red top deep start batteries. I've taken it to 3 shops and none have been able to solve this because it is difficult to replicate. I have had the starter replaced but yet this still happens.

I'm trying to determine if this is an electrical problem with something shorting out...but am leaning against this because the car does eventually start and trying to jump start it does not help. Could it be water getting in the engine? There is a small piece of molding missing along the passenger side of the windshield, do you think this is related at all? Please help, I'm worried that one of these times it will just decided to never start again. If it is water in the engine, how do I trace down the source, solve this issue?

Re: Very Difficult Starting Car After Heavy Rain

Originally posted by Matthew
    There is a small piece of molding missing along the passenger side of the windshield, do you think this is related at all?
    that is your problem right there..

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The molding is something I've been meaning to fix. I'll do that this weekend and see what happens. Does anybody else know of anything else I should look at that could cause these symptoms?

Comment

I can understand what you mean by the missing moulding letting water down into a place where it may be shorting something out. I seriously doubt it though...
        I'd probably replace the battery just as a precaution, even though the current one isn't that old. My theory is; When it comes to any of my cars, I always buy the DieHard Gold Series for all of them. They are kind of expensive, but worth the piece of mind for me.

Good luck with solving the problem
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah but installing the missing molding isn't going to fix the real problem.

The real problem here is that your coils and ICM are being effected by moisture and they shouldn't. Have the coils removed, clean any corrosion off the terminals, coat the terminals and the coil pack seals with dialectric grease and re-install the coils. This will help keep the water away from the coil electrical connections.
          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

OK....That is easy enough to do. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Comment

yeah, what they said, 'cept i use optima batteries. i've put mine thru hell and back. once i forgot to turn off my water pump all night when it was rigged up to a switch. i thought fer sure teh thing would be dead. it started up beautifully. good stuff there.
              2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                2 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X