Throttle Position Sensor Location/ Tranny slippage - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Position Sensor Location/ Tranny slippage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Position Sensor Location/ Tranny slippage

I am having a problem with what I believe is my tranny. The DAM thing doesnt want to down shift properly.
    Between 40 and 50mph and 1,500 and 2K RPMS it feels like you are driving a manual in the wrong gear, kinda chugging along to get up to speed. It slips sometimes when you are taking a corner and accelerate out of the turn but doesnt throw any codes. My first 2 gears do not throw me back in my seat like many have complained about. On take off it doesnt even feel like the car is moving.
    I have purchased a new tranny(not installed yet)but I wanted to check the TPS to see if its in proper worker order. Could someone tell me where it is located and how to remove it? Also does a slipping tranny effect gas mileage, cause Im not getting any. Last tank was 14.X mpg [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
    Thanks in advance,
    Shane

[ December 05, 2003: Message edited by: snatch ]</p>
    00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by snatch:
    I wanted to check the TPS to see if its in proper worker order. Could someone tell me where it is located and how to remove it? <hr></blockquote>

The TPS sensor is on the side of the throttle body. It is held on with two, maybe three screws. It has a wiring harness plugged into it with three wires. I think I might have a diagram if you need. Just let me know.
    - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Yeah if you have a diagram that'd be great. My dumba$$ needs visual aid! Does anyone who has or have had a slipping tranny know if it can cause poor gas mileage or do I need to search further?
      Thanks,
      Shane
      00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mkaprocki/Camaro/L36_Diagram.jpg
        TPS is #3.
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

WOW, thats a nice diagram. Do you think it would be possible to get the other numbers? Is it posted somewhere(ie ENGINE TECH)that I could reference?
          Thanks alot,
          Shane

Comment

That's out of the GM Service Manual.

(1) Fuel Pressure Regulator
            (2) Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve
            (3) Throttle Position (TP) Sensor
            (4) Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor
            (5) Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
            (6) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
            (7) Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Bank2 Sensor1
            (8) Fuel Injectors
            (9) Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
            (10) Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve
            Matt
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

the manual that comes with the car? I looked through that thing tonight, Ill be pissed if I overlooked it and then posted something like this on here.
              Thanks,
              Shane

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by snatch:
                the manual that comes with the car? I looked through that thing tonight, Ill be pissed if I overlooked it and then posted something like this on here.
                Thanks,
                Shane
                <hr></blockquote>

No, the Factory Service Manual that the techs use. Has everything. Got it from ebay for like 25 bucks. Comes on 5 CDs, and has every GM car since 1998.

[ December 06, 2003: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]</p>
                Matt

Comment

Thank god, I was about to kick my own a$$
                  Thanks for your time
                  Shane

Comment

Your throttle position sensors are built into the throttlebody. 1999+ V6 Camaros have the fly-by-wire throttle, so everything is electronic. If there's something wrong with the TPS, you have to replace the entire throttlebody, and there's no way to check the TPS(s), unless you have a scanner that can read them (Autotap or Ease).

Check your MAF and MAP Sensors, the PCM uses those to judge the engine load, and so, when to upshift/downshift. The MAF sensor is in the throttlebody, it's the black plastic piece right at the front of it. A quick check is to tap it while the engine is idling, if the idle gets squirrely (all over the place) while you're tapping on it, the sensor is bad.

The MAP sensor is on the upper intake manifold, on the passenger side. You'll see it sticking out of the side, under the cowl.

With your car, everything on the transmission is controlled by the PCM, so if the transmission isn't shifting right, then it's because either the PCM isn't getting correct information, or the PCM itself is goofed up, and sending bad shift commands to the transmission.

[ December 07, 2003: Message edited by: Guardsman ]</p>
                    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Thanks for the Reply. It happend to be an exhaust leak where my y-pipe meets the cat. I have been cursed with leaks ever since I put the dam exhaust on. I think the bad gas mileage may have been a combination of the leak as well as all my tires were at approx. 25 PSI when they should have been at 44.
                      The tranny still slips every now and then, but itll soon be replaced :D
                      Thanks
                      Shane

Comment

Good point Guardsman. I didn't notice he had a 99+, but you are right. [img]redface.gif[/img]
                        Matt

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                          Good point Guardsman. I didn't notice he had a 99+, but you are right. [img]redface.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] No problem :D

Snatch, one thing - you might not want to run 44psi on your tires. That's the maximum rated pressure, not the recommended.

GM recommends 30 front/30 rear, but people generally run 30-35 in front, and 30 in the rear.
                          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

thanks for the replies. I took the maro for a spin tonight and realized that it was way to ruff so I backed the pressure down to 35. I didnt take it for a spin so Im not sure if that PSI is still a little harsh, if so Ill take your advice.
                            I appreciate your help, and I realized after looking for the TPS that it wasnt in the same place as the pic, but I didnt feel like replying cause the leak solved everything. I appeciate the help fellas(or ladies, or both)!
                            Shane

[ December 07, 2003: Message edited by: snatch ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X