underdrive pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underdrive pulleys

I just bought a set of underdrive pulleys (alternator and crankshaft). It's a 25% crankshaft and 23% alternator underdrive ratio. It says that I might need to buy a new belt. I'm thinking I am going to have to. I was wondering since I might have to buy a smaller belt should I just leave the regular alternator pulley on? Then my alternator will still be the same? Instead of having it drop a lot more when my subs hit. Has anyone had to change their belt when putting on an udp kit? I have a 95 with the 3.4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: underdrive pulleys

I didn't need a different size belt when I did mine. The tensioner pulley will adjust itself enough to take care of it.

Comment

Alright thanks! Hopefully I won't need to buy a smaller belt either. Did you notice an increase in hp at all?

Comment

Mainly I did it for my car's 100K mile mark. It was one of those cheap and simple things to do. I figure it helps out on lightening up the engine load but I can't say I really noticed much from it.

Comment

i have a 94 3.4 wiht underdrive pullys on it and i replaced my belt with a smaller one when i swaped my pullys. Mainly because the instructions in the kit said i should and the old belt was to loose with my tensioner maxed out. So yes you should replace your belt when installing underdrive pullys.

Comment

deltaflyer2010 could you please tell me what the number on the belt is. so I could get one before I put the pulleys on so.

Comment

Sure its a gates belt part number K060760. This was for my kit from Auto Specialties part number 541801.

Comment

Thanks again deltaflyer2010. I'm gonna try putting them on today:banana: hopefully. Did you notice any increase in hp or acceleration? Also did you take off the air intake and take off the crankshaft pulley from the top or did you jack up the car and take it off from underneath? Do you need to remove the big bolt in the middle of the crankshaft pulley?

Comment

I felt a little more power but not much. Also i removed both pullys by removing the air intake and working from the top of the engine.

Comment

I borrowed my grandparents impact gun and it has pretty big and it was really hard to get the alternator and crankshaft bolts out. I jacked up the car to get the crankshaft bolts out. I couldn't use the impact on the 4 smaller bolts. All in all it took me about 45 minutes to an hour and for only paying $35 for the pulleys and $15 for the smaller belt it was worth it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X