Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine Belt is to tight?

Hey all,
    I changed my belt a few weeks back, all I did was put a socket on the tensioner and pushed down to releive the tension on the belt, and to get the new one on I just reversed the order.
    Now my belt feels real tight, their is no play in what so ever. I was wondering if this is normal, or if their is supposed to be like a 1/4 of an inch play in it? If it should be slightly loose how do you release the tension?
    Thanks
    00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

You should be alright. I needed a hammer & a leverage screwdriver to put my belt on. The tensioner should have some marks on it: Too Tight & Too Loose.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Does the 3.4 have a tensioner that you can loosen the bolt and it relieves the tension? I actually took the bolt out of the tensioner pully(3.8) and the dam thing didnt loosen at all. I think Im doing something wrong, could somebody chime in and tell me how you actually adjust the belt tension?
      Thanks,
      Shane
      00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

it should do it automatically. My Blazer has the same deal (belt on GP sil good, I think ) but to change the belteither use the $$$ rip off tool, or use ratchet & socket to push tensioner in direction to loosen (the belt routing sicker should indicate which direction.) I know that if you put too muchpressure on the bolt you could potentionaly loosen the bolt holding the pulley on. (some bolts are reverse threaded)
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Gotcha, thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for replying.
          Shane

Comment

I doubt it will ever be too tight, now too loose is something else, as long as you got the belt on without needing like a crowbar to get it on.

Comment

i used a 3 foot pipe over my wratchet to get my tnesioner pulley to go far enough .... but im runnin a crank underdrive pulley and !A/C so finding a belt the right size was kinda hard
              -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by snatch:
                Does the 3.4 have a tensioner that you can loosen the bolt and it relieves the tension? I actually took the bolt out of the tensioner pully(3.8) and the dam thing didnt loosen at all. I think Im doing something wrong, could somebody chime in and tell me how you actually adjust the belt tension?
                Thanks,
                Shane
                <hr></blockquote>

Dude, you must being doing it totally wrong. The bolt shouldn't come out at all. You just put your ratchet on the bolt in the middle and turn it counterclockwise. The bolt doesn't move at all. the whole pulley moves down from the pressure you put on the bolt. As far as adjusting the tension. You don't do it, that what the tensioner is for, so you don't have to.
                - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X