What turns on when key is on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What turns on when key is on?

Rarely when I turn the key to the on position, before I start it. I get a loud grinding noise. It lasts a few seconds then stops. The car starts fine. What could it be? It is definantly not the power antenna, it sounds just like it, but my antenna has been disconnected for over a year, and the sound is from the front of the car.
    Cardomain

Re: What turns on when key is on?

Do you have flip up headlights?
    Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

Originally posted by D_Fisher
      Do you have flip up headlights?
      betcha thats what it is.... get the metal gears off eBay

Comment

its either the headlights, or the fuel pump

Comment

Nope its not the headlights, they work fine.

I don't think it is the fuel pump. The sound is comming from the front of the car, and shakes the floorboard and the pump is in the tank. But I won't rule that out yet. I will have to check the pressure.

Anything else?
          Cardomain

Comment

you sure its not the headlights?? The lights will still work fine and come up but just when they go down they make that grinding sound.. When my motor went bad in the WS6 everytime I turned the key to the on position my lights would come up and go back down then that grinding noise would happen.. If not the lights then maybe its the cooling fan hitting something if you have your fan wired to stay on all the time??
            Jeff ..
            1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
            2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
            1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
            http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

I'm not too sure about this one, but it could also be the starter solenoid engaging the flywheel... I believe that when the key is turned to "on" the starter solenoid pushes the gear to the flywheel, might be that. Any hesitation on the start? Any sort of grinding right after starting the car? I have a 95 GMC Safari and the new starter I put in didn't match the flywheel and I had to shim the flywheel, and everytime I turned the key to "on" prior to turning over it made a noise, it wasn't a grinding, but was definitely a noticeable sound.
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by 1998silverbird
                you sure its not the headlights?? The lights will still work fine and come up but just when they go down they make that grinding sound.. When my motor went bad in the WS6 everytime I turned the key to the on position my lights would come up and go back down then that grinding noise would happen.. If not the lights then maybe its the cooling fan hitting something if you have your fan wired to stay on all the time??
                The lights will go up and down with no grinding noise. It sounds similar, I have heard what a grinding headlight sounds like on my other 96 Firebird. This is definantly not headlight related.

The car does hesitate longer on the start, than it used to.
                I will get a video of it tomarrow.If the fuel system was leaking backward and depressurizing, would it make a sound when it repressurized. If not, it probably is my starter selenoid.
                Cardomain

Comment

Donde esta Bulldogg?
                  Cardomain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    2 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X