No codes, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No codes, but...

I've got problems. I have a 96 firebird 3.8 that I've been fixing up. Everything runs fantastic at idle, now, but when driving, the car can barely accelerate from 0-20...above that, its fine. Had a new cat put on, because the old one had a hole, and then went back to the exhaust shop today, because I had another exhaust leak, and while fixing that, the guy tells me that my cat is burning up, which means my engine is dumping fuel, which he said was usually from a misfire. I have no SES codes, I've replaced the plugs and wires, o2's, MAP, MAF, IAC, battery, and fuel filter in the last 1000 miles. And yes, ALL of those were bad. Now Im just down to this last issue, and I have no idea because I am not getting any codes. The only other problem I am having is that sometimes, rather randomly, the car will idle high, like 1200 RPM. If I turn it off and start it again, it runs normal again. So I think it's electrical maybe, if those are related problems, but I dont want to go replace coil packs or the ICM just in case..so any input would be great.

Oh, also, my oil pressure has gone a little strange lately, too, but I dont believe thats related. I think an oil change or the pressure sender there. Oh, and the battery gauge reads low all the time, even with the new battery. At idle, its usually right at the edge of the orange, which makes me wonder if there is a short. But Im just not sure where the heck else to look. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Re: No codes, but...

Update...it is dumping less fuel, after fixing a problem with the FPR vacuum, but still bogs down some. After changing the oil, I am still having a problem with the oil pressure. Once the car is warm, it actually drops to 0 pressure now, and when it has pressure, the needle jumps, even at idle. Also, the battery problem is still a factor. Does anyone know how to do a, I think its called a draw test? to see how much current the system is drawing. It does not appear to have any problems when the car is off, it just appears to not charge enough while running. Alternator perhaps? any suggestions anyone?

Comment

Re: No codes, but...

gonna be honest here... and i'd really hate to say this... but i think this is one of those things that you gotta have a dealership check out. and FAST. really, if you're getting low oil pressure like that, you need to get that looked at quickly. nothing will kill an engine faster than a lack of oil. as far as the dumping fuel part, i think that you've done pretty much most of what would be considered common fixes. my guess is theres some sort of electronic short thats screwing everything up. if you get a short in the wrong place, you could throw the computer off hugely and all those crazy unrelated things could very well fall into place, just from a lowered voltage. Most work, do it yourself or give it to a local garage. Electrical and computer stuff... thats dealership domain as far as i'm concerned. even better... dont just sit in the waiting room, try and talk with the tech who works on it. they'll explain things alot better and tend not to be too concerned with ripping you off like the service writers are.
      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X