a/c is doing weird things..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c is doing weird things..

when it kicks on the oil pressure goes up and down at idle and its super loud and idle is rough wtf would be causing this?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Re: a/c is doing weird things..

Here's my 1st theory, maybe your compressor is failing.

If there is an abnormal amount of force required to turn the compressor, the engine will loose rpm when the compressor kicks in, then it will adjust to the proper idle speed, then it will rise in rpm (can be considerable) when the compressor kicks out. So with the compressor cycling on and off, the engine rpm will vary up and down, and thus the oil pressure also.

If the engine cannot attain proper idle rpm because the compressor load is too high then the engine will run rough (idle too low) and the oil pressure will read low.

2nd theory, you IAC is not working, and the compressor is dragging down the idle RPM.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
      Here's my 1st theory, maybe your compressor is failing.

If there is an abnormal amount of force required to turn the compressor, the engine will loose rpm when the compressor kicks in, then it will adjust to the proper idle speed, then it will rise in rpm (can be considerable) when the compressor kicks out. So with the compressor cycling on and off, the engine rpm will vary up and down, and thus the oil pressure also.

If the engine cannot attain proper idle rpm because the compressor load is too high then the engine will run rough (idle too low) and the oil pressure will read low.

2nd theory, you IAC is not working, and the compressor is dragging down the idle RPM.

i think theory one hit the nail right on the head.. lol thanks i will just grab an new compressor
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

I have that same problem, so i tend to turn on my AC or something when im just coasting and i dont notice rpm fluctuations(roughness). And then turn it back towards the regular fan to keep air circulation in my car.

How much do those compressors cost?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X