battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery drain

ok this started happening about a week ago but i was at the beach and couldnt do anything about it. while my car is running, the voltmeter in the car only shows 12-13 volts max and the check gauges light is on i guess telling me that my battery is dying. so i pulled my battery out and charged it all night. put it back in and the same thing. figured the battery is so dead that i just need a new one. few years old anyway so i replace it and when i turned on the car with the new battery it does the same thing. now the only thing i can think that it may be is that my alternator is not charging it completely. it has to be still working somewhat or else my car would have completely died by now running only off my battery. im heading down to advance auto parts tomorrow to get it checked out but i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or would know whats going on.

Mike
    '99 Camaro Y87 M5 T-tops
    Flowmaster american thunder cat back, 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat, centerforce dual friction clutch

Car Domain

Re: battery drain

Highest probability is that your Alternator is dead.

Fully charged battery (no load, engine not running) should read in the area of 13 volts.

Voltage with engine running should be in the area of 14.5 volts.

Get a new or rebuilt alternator, or rebuild it yourself.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

it was the alternator like i figured. got a new one and a new battery since ive been drainging the other one so much lately. everything is fine and back to normal
      '99 Camaro Y87 M5 T-tops
      Flowmaster american thunder cat back, 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat, centerforce dual friction clutch

Car Domain

Comment

also check your batt cables, any interior light that may be staying on w/o you knowing,.......
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X