y87 with 3.23? ....pic of codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y87 with 3.23? ....pic of codes

check it out, its got the GU5 which is 3.23 but it also has the G80 which is posi and the Y87 code....

so do i have the y87 package or what? im confused.

Re: y87 with 3.23? ....pic of codes

yes you do but if you have a manual, it explains the 3.23 gears. autos got 3.42s and manuals got the higher gear.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

They usually put these in a place that will not get ruined. It contains letter and number codes that reflect which equipment is on your car.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1g/bl219g.htm

It appears so.

Comment

ouch..

'95 3.8L A4 PGM. & '95 LT1 M6 PGM. :burn:

Comment

so I do have the y87 package? I have a 5 speed so i must have 3.23 but theres aftermarket Richmond 4.10 gears in there when i bought the car and it came with 3.23s that i could put back in.

the reason im so curious about this is because my odo and spedo are not accurate anymore and I was thinking about putting the original gears (3.23) back in it.

Any suggestions or views on me doing this? I do drive hwy and city a lot but dont care too much about losing my top end speed. i am worried about wear and tear on the engine though.

anyone got advice? also what would be cheaper to do if done at a shop... tune the pcm or put the original geras back in? I need some pros and cons of each. thanks everyone.

Comment

it would probably be cheaper the have the pcm adjusted with a hyper tech or mail in tune than have a shop switch the gears.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

if i leave the 4.10 gears in the car and then adjust the pcm how will it affect the overall performance as comapred to a 3.23 and what are the pros and cons? will i have problems with the 4.10s on hwys?

Comment

where are you finding these codes? I've been told i have Y87 because of my dual exhaust, but i've also heard otherwise, how can i be sure if i have Y87 or not?
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                  where are you finding these codes? I've been told i have Y87 because of my dual exhaust, but i've also heard otherwise, how can i be sure if i have Y87 or not?
                  In 1984 Chevrolet started attaching a "service parts identification" label (SPID) or RPO Codes inside Camaros. This "service identification label" was first placed on the inside of the console storage lid. For 1991 and 1992, it was moved to the inside of the rear compartment lockable storage bin lid. Most fourth gen Camaros have the "service parts identificaiton" label in the glove box but I have even seen them on the door as you open it up. Always check that the label is for that particular car by check the VIN against the VIN of the car.

If for some reason the label is gone and you are needing to know whether your Camaro has a specific RPO code then you can take the VIN to your local Chevy dealership's parts department and have them look up the RPO codes list. They should be able to pull up a list of what was originally installed on it

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-RPO-Codes.asp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X