a/c charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c charging

my ac takes a while to get cool, and it never really gets cold, so i figure its just low preassure, so i went and bought one of those kits, i attach the gauge on the can (the one on the car, not kit), because it wont fit on the other one, the gauge immediatly jumped to the "danger" portion of the gauge 100+ psi, was that the correct place to attach it, i cant find anywhere else.... or do i have to have it running or something, i hear about all this high side low side crap, so i dont know which side i connected it to, just whatever side fit
    Last edited by bah; 06-17-2006, 02:40 PM.

Re: a/c charging

no, i think its in the right spot. I'll tell you, how much pressure you have cant tell you how much freon you have. to figure that out, it will need to be pulled out with a machine that can weigh it. did it all of a sudden start to not cool enough or was this a slower process over time? if it was over time, i would guess you just need a recharge.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

it was like that when i bought the car, but it does get cool, not cold, but cool, i turned the knob to ac and then the pressure was well over the 100 psi danger mark, so you are saying the cans arent going to do the job, or i guess i am assuming the cans arent going to do the job and i should just return it?

Comment

ok, well i started the car, and that did the trick, but the gauge said it was just slightly above where its normally supposed to be, and that can gets cold as hell, so i'm thinking my problem perhaps lies somewhere else, ideas???

Comment

and this kit was $40, so its not something that i want to just try out, if i'm low then i have no problem using it, but if i'm not thats $40 down the drain, it came with 2 cans, each are 1 use only, so not something i want to be playing with

Comment

well see, the problem with this do it yourself stuff is you don't know how much freon you have. with the freon, you have a set weight that should be in there and no more. with the old r12, it was like the more you add, the colder it gets, but with r134, if you add more, it doesn't cool more, it will get worse cause of the friction heat created during the whole process. so, lets say you have 1.5 lbs in there and you are suppose to have 2.0lbs, you add 1.0 lbs and now you wont cool as well. you need to have precisely what your ac system is suppose to hold. so what im saying is, spend the money and take it somewhere to be inspected.

Comment

how much would that cost?

Comment

i think this quick care place down the street charges like 49.99 bucks or something so that might be a range to expect.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X