how many repairs have you made on your f-body? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many repairs have you made on your f-body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many repairs have you made on your f-body?

just curious as to how much stuff ppl have had to repair.

i have had my camaro for about 3 and half years

so far ive replaced:
    1. driver side window motor
    2.oil cap (cant rember specific term, and no it wasnt a simple cap it wasn't a simple cap it was a $55 part)
    3.fan
    4. abs wheel sensor (not sure on specific term)
    5. currently i think i have the ignition lock cylinder that will need to be fixed.

so far i have about 93,3## miles
    JpX

Re: how many repairs have you made on your f-body?

What a good topic, rear main engine seal, oil pan gasket, intake mainifold upper and lower gaskets, alternator, water pump, battery, drivers side mirror, rear main transmission seal, transmission gasket and filter, rear end seal, and gasket, pcv valve, o2 sensers, front end tie rod ball joint things, valve cover gaskets, 185 tstat, radiator, coolant recovery tank sucked so i installed a diffrent type, low oil senser, egr valve sucked so i throw it into the trash, coil packs, plugs, wires, icm, im sure theres a few other things im not thinking of. AND MANY MANY other common maintince type things like, flushing power streering fluid, fuel filters, tires, brakes, air filters. i bought this car with 100k now a year later it has 109k. Over all, its been a good car, all of this stuff was done with in the first few months of ownership. Basicly if you own one of these cars its best that your have a few good mechanic skills.
    Last edited by BobbyZ72; 06-15-2006, 08:26 PM.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

At 88K, I have replaced nothing that I can think of...

I need to replace

* rear pinion seal...normal thing and not leaking badly
      * valve cover gasket...normal thing and not leaking badly
      * oil pan gasket...normal thing especially for our style of pan
      * ignition lock cylinder...normal thing
      * power steering hose....normal thing and not leaking badly
      * ummmm....will probably think of more

this all does not include maintenance things like plugs, pcv, and lube changes.
      Last edited by BLLDOGG; 06-15-2006, 08:24 PM.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72
        Basically if you own one of these cars its best that your have a few good mechanic skills.
        I think that statement is incorrect and a turn off to someone reading this wanting to buy an f-body. if you own any car, including a Benz, expect normal maintenance items, and other repairs.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i didnt mean it like that, i say that because half our engine is under the firewall, these cars are hard to work on, and mechanics charge an arm and a leg to work on them.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72
            i didnt mean it like that, i say that because half our engine is under the firewall, these cars are hard to work on, and mechanics charge an arm and a leg to work on them.
            agreed i was just curious as too what everyone has had to fix
            JpX

Comment

Besides the typical maintance stuff:

Oil pan gasket, tranny pan & gasket ( don't ask :) ), P/S lines, coolant elbow, oil level sensor, 1 coil pack, BCM/IGN switch (twice), drivers door lock switch, A/C bracket, tranny tail shaft seal, v/c gaskets, torque arm bushing, tranny mount, water pump, and I'm sure more, but I've only had one cup of coffee this morning.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by BobbyZ72
              Basically if you own one of these cars its best that your have a few good mechanic skills.

And it's a damn good thing I have a 3 car garage.
              Last edited by ma4life; 06-16-2006, 12:45 AM.
              \'97 Firebird 3.8 ... 1/4 mile = 12.50 (minutes)

Comment

well....

the 3.4..
                plugs and wires and brakes. great car, never had any problems up until the last month i had it. before i got rid of it, it needed egr valve and new oil pump. but other than that it was excellent.

NOW.. the lt1 on the other hand.... hmm.. IIRC 15 pushrods(not all at once first time 8 bent becuase it was damage already done before i got it. second time was my fault) lifters X2, fuel injectors,spark plugs 2 times in a week period, fuel lines,fuel filter,fuel pump, water pump, opti spark, manifold leak,valve cover gaskets,egr,pcv valve,02s, thermo, thats off the top of my head lol.

still needs fixed.. rear main leaking a little,tranny needs flushed, brakes are starting to get bad so thats on my to do list also. all in all on the lt1 ive spent over 3k in parts and some of that is labor becuase i didnt have time to mess with it myself so i had no choice but to take it somewhere. i think the total i spent on the 3.4 was 400 bucks total in the 4 years i had it. i wish the lt1 was half as reliable as the 3.4 or 3.8 motors.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

i can't even remember everything. lets just say that i haven replaced everything.
                  WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Replaced:
                    Alternator, battery, water pump, AC, pinion seal, pinion bearings, driver window motor, passenger window motor (twice, but one was by the previous owner), every monsoon speaker, head unit, spark plug wires (multiple times), rotors/pads, and other basic maintenance

Should replace, but haven't:
                    rear main seal, clutch soon, various interior pieces

Comment

69,000 miles.....spun a crankshaft bearing, scored everything....replaced all internals besides pistons and rods....
                      *starter went bad
                      *battery..little stuff

91,000 miles...motors toast
                      Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Starter
                        Power window motor
                        CAT
                        Plugs/wires

Power steeringpump
                        Clutch twice
                        Clutch master cylinder twice
                        Clutch slave cylinder twice
                        Flywheel twice
                        Transmission once
                        1 driveshaft
                        2 rears
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

not counting mods and reg maintenance - rebuilt the t5, new clutch, and clutch slave cylinder in the 50K I have owned the car.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

At 45k miles, I've only had to replace the fuel pump. I probably need to think about brakes before long.

Comment

1999 with 76,000 miles...

Maintenance:
                              Plugs/Wires
                              Shocks/Struts
                              Belt
                              Radiator Hoses/Flush
                              PCV vavle
                              Fuel Filter
                              Tires

Repairs:
                              Front brake pads and rotors (twice, rotors keep warping)
                              Rear brake pads and rotors
                              Fuel pump (twice, under warranty and again 3 years later)
                              Upper intake manifold gasket
                              TCC Lockup Solenoid on A4
                              AC Compressor
                              Catalytic Converter (replaced under 8 year/80K warranty)
                              Both outer tie rods
                              Driver seat foam/cushion replaced because it fell apart

Nice, fun car...but you don't buy one for reliability or low maintenance!!
                              Last edited by Silver 99 Camaro; 06-16-2006, 12:30 PM.
                              1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X