auto peeps in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto peeps in here

this is something i thought my car was supposed to do at first, but i called the dealership cuz it's gettin annoying and they said it was a problem...

ok i start the car in the morning, and the first (and only when it's cold) shift from park to reverse. the shifter like doesn't wanna cooperate, i broke my original shift handle forcing it and now i have a manual shift ball that i press down... takes like both hands, but i can't just let the car run cuz i park in the garage.

this is a pretty big deal, so what i do sometimes is put it in neutral to start it, then just go to reverse, but that still is kinda gay.

does anyone else have this problem? what can i do about it?

I have the same exact problem. I posted on here asking about it, but never really got a good answer. I ended up changing my front pads and it seems to have gotten alot better, but still does it every once in awhile. And as you said only when its cold. I think it has to do with brake pressure.
    1996 Arctic White Firebird , Auto , stock <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/smokeyinswf\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/smokeyinswf</a>

Comment

yeah that would make sense, i guess i'll get the pads changed and see if that helps

Comment

your neutral safety switch could be going bad. replace it. Its like $8.

Comment

where is it, how do i do that?

Comment

don't you have that "must press brake before shifting out of park" deal? is the solinoid fully releasing?
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Sounds to me that your park/neutral safety switch is going out. Did you trying pumping the brakes a couple of times to see if that makes a difference? Depending on what car you have, the safety switch will be located either on the shifter or at the bottom of your steering column.

Comment

yeah its probably that switch.

1 other option though:

does it do it when it rains also?
                you might want to check the shifter solinoid or whatever its called, make sure its not ****ed up.

Comment

ok, what does it look like? i just don't wanna **** with stuff if i don't know what it is...

Comment

UPDATE: Replaced front pads and neutral/park safety switch, still havin the problem although to a lesser extent.

Comment

A neutral/park safety switch has nothing to do with the shifter not shifting. it there so your car wont start in gear jus like a clutch safety switch for manuals. The "apply brakes befor shifting" solenoid would be your problrm unless something is wrong with your pedal.
                      1999 Camaro V6 A4<br />Navy Blue metallic<br />Intake+Exhaust+4.10+?=?

Comment

could you tell me where the solenoid is located?

Comment

Did ya ever spill soda in your center council?
                          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

[img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] yeah, just about had a wreck, slammed on the brakes, odd shaped cup goes str8 into the shifter... cleaned it up best i could, pissed me off though... [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

so i take it it's right there? whats it called, just so things go smoothly at autozone...?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              2 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X