Q about Cylinder Misfire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about Cylinder Misfire.

Is it bad to drive around when my 6th cylinder is misfiring? I mean, it is a little rought at idle, but driving, it seems pretty good. And for the record, it doesn't always misfire... It seems it only misfires when the engine is cold.

So... Is it ok to drive on, or should I take it to a shop

AND... Is this a common problem. If so, is it easy to fix myself and not have to pay tons of cash for a shop?

Thanks!
    Red 1998 Camaro<br />Mods so far=<br />K&N

Re: Q about Cylinder Misfire.

I wouldnt drive like that for very long.
    Myself, I do all my own work and wouldnt take it to a shop, but thats me
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I will get it fixed as soon as you can. Whenever your car has a problem don't put off getting it fixed cuz it usually leads to more things breaking because of it.
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I would do all the work on it myself too.... If I could figure out what was wrong.

Comment

a misfire typically is either your coil pack, your spark plug, or your plug wire....all of them are pretty easy to do yourself
          96 polo green RS w/ some extra stuff<br /><br />15.4 @ 89

Comment

is it ever anything more expensive? Where should I start? The code says it's the 6th cylinder. Should I change the spark plug in that one cylinder? Wires were replaced about 25k miles ago... Should those be changed? I got the car at 87k and it now has 113k and I don't think the coil pack have been changed in that time. Any suggestions?

Comment

i would change your feul filter next

Comment

Originally posted by 96silvershark
                i would change your feul filter next
                wtf does a fuel filter have to do with anything? Plus, that was changed 2k miles ago.

Comment

Definately change out ALL the plugs and wires. Don't waste your time with just one plug, plus it's not going to break you to buy six plugs. Since it's been over 20,000 miles since your last wire change, I'd go ahead and do those too. One thing you can do to check your coilpacks (had one go out in mine) is swap the coil pack with another coil pack and see if the problem follows. OR, you could always take them off and get them checked at Autozone, I think it's free too. Good Luck
                  \'97 Firebird 3.8 ... 1/4 mile = 12.50 (minutes)

Comment

Originally posted by Stock98camaro
                    wtf does a fuel filter have to do with anything? Plus, that was changed 2k miles ago.
                    Its recommended to change fuel filter every 6k miles I think. It can clog up, clog your injectors, make you loose pressure, etc...

Originally posted by 96_rs
                    a misfire typically is either your coil pack, your spark plug, or your plug wire....all of them are pretty easy to do yourself
                    typically, but it could also be a bad ICM, PCM, Injector(s), etc...
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

So everyone agrees that I should start with plugs and wires?

Heres another question I have: Would it be better for me to spend money for part after part or just take it to a shop? Which is cheaper/better? Keep in mind, I am inexperienced with cars.

Comment

So here's a summery of car problems:
                        -SOME (not much at all... and I only noticed this once so I don't knwo if this is a continuous problem) smoke.
                        -Gas smell when I start it up
                        -Weird *** smell whenever I slow down to a stop... It is undescribable. It just smells.
                        -Hard to start and you have to give it some gas for about 30 seconds to have a close to stable idle
                        -sometime engine shakes the car a whole lot (hence the misfiring)

That's it for now. I'll update if I forget something. Please give me some advice, I would love that!

Comment

I am assuming you have scanned the ECU for trouble codes; if not, pull the code(s) with an OBD-2 code scanner. Verify that cylinder 6 is the problem (via the DTC). If "misfire cylinder 6" is the only code, then I would proceed as follows. Take one step at a time and only proceed to next step if you need to:

- visually check plug wire 6 for cracks ... may help to open the hood and run the car at night ... in the dark you may be able to see the plug wire arcing to ground
                          - remove plug 6 and check for an obvious problem (broken insulator, incorrect gap, etc)
                          - replace plug 6 with new plug ... make sure you use the correct plug and gap
                          - replace plug wire 6 with new wire ... may need to get a "univeral" wire because I do not know if you can buy individual plug wires
                          - swap coil pack with another coil pack ... clear all DTCs and scan ... if your misfire moves to another cylinder, then you know you have a bad coil pack

If you have other codes, we need to know about them. List all codes in your reply. If you follow the above steps and still can't determine the problem, then it's time to take it to a shop.

Let us know how it goes.
                          <b>1996 Camaro 3.8 L, A4</b><br />bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                            Its recommended to change fuel filter every 6k miles I think. It can clog up, clog your injectors, make you loose pressure, etc...

typically, but it could also be a bad ICM, PCM, Injector(s), etc...
                            More like every 30,000 miles. 6,000 miles seems way too soon for fuel filter change.
                            <b>1996 Camaro 3.8 L, A4</b><br />bone stock

Comment

SC THANKS SOO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!!! I will give it a shot if it will ever stop raining! So let me get this straight... I can SEE the voltage THOUGH the wire at night? Also, where is the coil pack located and how hard is it to move? I will give yall and update as soon as I get access to a scanner and it stops raining (probably tomarrow).

Also, I thought you changed a fuel filter every time you change your oil. :shrug:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X