Pure Acetone in gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Acetone in gas tank?

Is it bad to put Pure Acetone in your gas tank in order to clean the fuel system/injectors? I know alot of commercially sold fuel system cleaners come
    with acetone in them. I also know acetone might help your MPG.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Re: Pure Acetone in gas tank?

I don't know man. I wouldn't try it. Better read more about it before you go ahead and do it.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird<br />5-speed<br />Navy Blue<br />Only additions so far: Flowmaster Dual Exhaust 80 Series, K&N air filter<br /><br />1989 Ford F150<br />Alpine Green and Tan<br />300/4.9 Inline 6, automatic<br />completely stock- daily beater

Comment

Actually, on Mythbusters, they did all this stuff to try to improve MPG, and Acetone was one of the things. They ended up getting 1-2 **LESS** MPG then the test runs. It may work well for cleaning your injectors, but I wouldn't use it all the time.
      2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

how much did they use during their runs?
        there is a definite, fairly consistent curve based on how much you use. after 4+ oz, diminishing returns/losses occur; acetone acts as a sort of catalyst, by lowering the surface tension of gasoline.

I used to spike my gasoline with about 60ml (2oz) of acetone, and noticed a 4mpg increase, driving like I normally do. I should get some more, it certainly wouldn't hurt; my mileage has gone to ****
        Last edited by kinetic; 06-11-2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Its like $2 for 16 oz of PURE at walmart
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

do a search there was a really long heated discussion about this question with links to all kinds of websites with the science behind why it does.
            96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

i used to spike my full take with about 2 oz's and i DID record a 2/3 MPG difference. be it the actual acetone. or the cleaner parts and ports.. but i noticed NO difference in driveability.just a couple MPG . havent tracked my MPG lately as i have a horrible missfire..
              try it.. if nothing else it is a cheap parts cleaner. as long as you arent using it to get more MPG it wont hurt. i mean you dont use injector cleaner to get MPg you use it to clean your intake and fuel delivery. that is what acetone does.
              1996 Dark Green V-6 auto. few mods.<br />previous rides:<br />1989 turbo 5 speed dodge caravan (18 PSI, 3\" exhuast,intercooled blah blah)<br />1989 Mustang GT (11.72 @118 many many mods, blown engine a.t.m. :-( )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X