My gear shifter light for auto went out - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My gear shifter light for auto went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gear shifter light for auto went out

It's the light underneath the gear shifter that eluminates what gear your in. Anyone ever had to replace this light? Anyone even know how to get to it or the part # for the light bulb? [img]redface.gif[/img]

I just had my heater core replaced, could the mechanic possibly have forgotten to hook it back up (although it worked once when I got it back and just went out after that, which leads me to believe the bulb is just burned out).
    \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

On a 1998, I'd be surprised if it's already burnt out. This might sound dumb, but have you lifted up the plastic housing to check the bulb itself?

When I went through the same thing, it turned out that the bulb just fell out of its plastic retainer. If it's not clipped up just right, then you won't see any light through your PRNOD21.
    ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

mine does that once in awhile. i turn the lights on and that light doesn't come on. then if you tap it kind of hard it comes on and stays on. wierd.
      mcG<br />aim=endlive<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/endlive\" target=\"_blank\">97 firebird</a> ~ wrecked

Comment

Mide does the same thing also. Just bang the side of the console and it comes on.
        New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
        RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
        crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
        The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

The bulb number in my '93 is 73, but a 74 also fits.
          \'93 Camaro, 3.4, A4<br />Yeah, it\'s slow. Whatchu got to say now?

Comment

Well I tried banging it and that doesnt work unfortunately. It kinda sucks at night when your uh, disoriented (I dont mean drunk). Anyway, I tried to lift that plastic panel off and its like the whole piece that covers the gear shifter and ash tray and all, its snapped in good and I felt like I was going to break some plastic piece if I forced it off. How do you get it off to get down to the bulb?

While we're on the subject :D Does anyone know how to get to the front passenger side speaker on the door panel? I ordered it from GMPDirect.com cause mine blew, 3rd speaker to be replaced... but I'd rather spend my cash under the hood than replace my entire car system when its already got a decent SOUNDING stock one, quality of the speakers on the other hand....
            \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

Comment

I too have this problem with my 97. I normally shift by detents anyway (I know that it's one-two-three go), but there are times at night when the letters are kinda hard to see (but there's almost always some kind of illumination anyway).

Any procedures on how to check this out would be greatly appreciated.
              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

If you pull the shift knob off and that section of the console, you can see if the bulb is hooked in. If you twist it, it will come off. I don't know how to get the bulb out of the wire though, can anyone tell me?
                2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

I don't really need that light

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    2 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X