Ran out of gas and now car overheats ?!?!?!!?---------- - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ran out of gas and now car overheats ?!?!?!!?----------

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of gas and now car overheats ?!?!?!!?----------

I had just got back from an extended vacation and I hopped in my car for the first time in a month to drive home. As soon as I get on the highway, the car starts sputtering. I look down at the gauge cluster.... s#it... out of gas. I didn't even think to look. Too anxious to finally get home. Damnit. So I get off at the next exit and start looking for a gas station. The car actually drove like 2 more miles, but no gas station. The sputtering started getting worse and turing into a misfire. The SES light began to flash so I pulled over and cut her off. Hoofed it to a gas station and got a can of gas. She started back up and ran a little rough at first. After about 3 or 4 minutes, she was back to normal. Later that night, I noticed the temp gauge was running a lot hotter then normal. Idling in traffic it would get close to the red mark. 250 I think? And then drop back down to about 215. Raises up again and drops down. Even doing 60 on the highway, she would run at about 215-220. It's almost like the thermostat wasn't opening until like 240. But it runs hot even on the highway?!!? I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I'm thinking about doing full fluid flush and replacing all of them. Also, switching out the thermostat to a new 180 to be safe. (I have a 195) Ant help or thoughts would be helpful. Thank you!

[ November 30, 2003: Message edited by: 96firebird311 ]</p>
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Running out of gas shouldn't cause your car to overheat.

First off, don't drive the car until you fix this problem. And from what you said, the temperature isn't going down when you drive? I would think its a problem with your thermostat.
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
      I would think its a problem with your thermostat.<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] My guess too.

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking about putting a new 180 in. I've seen the wall o' thermos at my auto parts store. Which one fits my car? Can I just get any 44mm 180 degree thermostat?

[ November 30, 2003: Message edited by: 96firebird311 ]</p>
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

I'd also say it's your thermostat. It's stuck closed. The car warming up to around 250 than going back to about 215 is from your fans kicking on. On the thermostat, I'd just ask someone behind the counter to look it up for you, they should be able to find the right one, than again, a lot of places would wind up giving you the wrong one.
          1999 Silverado- Bagged, colormatched and rollin on stock chrome 16\'s<br />Make love not war, hell do both, get married

Comment

i wonder if ur fuel pump is f-ed up and making ur car run lean then makin the car run hot...kinda off the wall but i always heard that if u ran out of gas the fuel pump would burn up, in the new cars anyways???
            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WickEdSix9838:
              i wonder if ur fuel pump is f-ed up and making ur car run lean then makin the car run hot...kinda off the wall but i always heard that if u ran out of gas the fuel pump would burn up, in the new cars anyways???<hr></blockquote>

I second that. If your intank fuel pump is messed up, you have the potential for an electrical fire... IN THE FUEL TANK!!!!!!!!!!

A cold thermostat is only like 8 bucks, so you should get a new one of those anyways.
              1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

Also get the readiator checked for blockage. I had a problem like that happen on a car of mine w/a aluminum engine. overheated & scared the sh*t outa me :eek:
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

I ran out of gas before in my car, fuel pump is fine... I think that is true though, wehen you run the car all the way to E every time the fuel pmp can burn up faster because the gas is what keeps it cool.
                  I would just get a new thermostat and work from there. Get a Stant SuperStat, they're great thermostats and don't cost too much. Just get the Hevy Duty one.
                  if you go to the counter at Autozone or somewhere they will be able to tell you which one you need, there are also books sometimes that you can look up yourself.
                  <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by O2Bsogood:
                    On the thermostat, I'd just ask someone behind the counter to look it up for you, they should be able to find the right one, than again, a lot of places would wind up giving you the wrong one.<hr></blockquote>
                    But I'm looking to replace my 195 degree thermo with a 180. I'm sure that all their records state the part number for the 195.... just wondering if anybody knew offhand. [img]smile.gif[/img] And I hope my fuel pump isin't fubared... :(
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

if the pump works it's probably okay, but you should replace your thermostat immediatly and see if that cures your high heat problem. i'm not too sure about you 3.8 guys but my car usually runs at a cool 185 unless i'm city driving then my fans kick on at 220 and shut off once the engine reaches 170
                      *ASE CERTIFIED* <p>Don\'t Laugh Your Daughter Thinks it\'s Cool...

Comment

Ok. I bought a new 44mm 180 degree Stant Heavy duty thermo yesterday. I also bought a new gasket... but not sure if it's the right one. It's looks like a thick rubber o-ring. I expected a flat paper type of gasket...no? I'll installed both as soon as I can.

Also, I'm gonna flush the radiator. I saw a flush kit at autozone that comes with a plastic "T". You cut into one of the radiator lines and install this "T". Then you can hook up your garden hose to it and just open the drain. Say it flushes your entire cooling system this way. Any thoughts? Also, anybody have any links with a walkthrough of an fbody radiator flush? Thanks guys!
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I also bought a new gasket... but not sure if it's the right one. It's looks like a thick rubber o-ring.<hr></blockquote>

That is the correct one... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                          Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

the autozone flush kit made by prestone if i remember right works very well in my experience with it but i modified it so i didn't have to cut my heater lines by using a couple spare peices of heater hose from a different project and that way i can use the same one on all my vehicles as well

oh and you got the correct thermostat
                            *ASE CERTIFIED* <p>Don\'t Laugh Your Daughter Thinks it\'s Cool...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by badandy247:
                              the autozone flush kit made by prestone if i remember right works very well in my experience with it but i modified it so i didn't have to cut my heater lines by using a couple spare peices of heater hose from a different project and that way i can use the same one on all my vehicles as well<hr></blockquote>
                              Cool. Anybody got any walkthrough links? Never done one before. I know it's not hard, but a walkthrough would still be cool. OH! And what kind of "flushing fluids" could I use? Like, some stuff to break up the clumps that are no doubt in there? [img]smile.gif[/img] And how many bottles of dexcool will I need to refill er'? Thanks guys!
                              Red 96' A4 Firebird
                              Audio Audio and Autotek
                              Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X