Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking

I just bought a 96 camaro. I have noticed I can smell antifreeze but I dont see a leak. I have all the syptoms of a bad core I believe. Switches from cold air to hot over and over. I smell antifreeze inside and out. I am less concerned w/ the coolant leak than I am a knock I heard. After driving around for awile,(the temp. above 200)I will come to a stop and hear a knock under the hood. Could this be from the coolant leak? Any help would be greatly appreicated.
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Does anybody have ANY ideas.
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

when you came to a stop was the car turned off when it knocked or was it still running?

Comment

Knocking is usually not from a coolant leak. Most of the time it's going to be lifters, rod trying to throw itself or something else internal to the motor. Best thing to do is get a pressure test done on the coolant system. This will tell you for sure if you have a leak.

Also check the dipstick for discoloration. This will tell you if you have anitfreeze in the motor. If you do, you have a shortened life span now and a head leak or similar.

Steve
        FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
        Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
        Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I belive it did it on both. Idle and off.

Comment

Anybody, somebody. Please give me more suggestions. If it is a headgasket what is the fastest way to blow it. My engine in under warenty for 30 days.

Comment

If your oil looks like a milkshake its a blown head gasket... another symptom is white smoke from the exhaust especially on startup... you can blow it easily by overheating and running the car hard... but you run the risk of cracking the block... extreme heat causes the engine to knock by heating the oil so it's too thin to lubricate properly or by decreasing the size of the metal moving parts in the engine. going from hot to cold could be a sticking thermostat, or even low coolant (air in the system), which could cause too much pressure going into the overflow tank and you would smell antifreeze. check under the hood for leaks, make sure the overflow tank is not leaking... if it's the heater core you can always bypass it until you can afford to fix it...
              99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

start your car and look at the front of your engine. See if there is any antifreeze leaking on your serpentine belt. That would be your water pump thats easy to fix
                if its not that and your not seeing any spots anywhere probley a head gasket which i hope it isnt
                2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

run engine and check coolant reservoir for exhaust gasses or HC's with gas analyzer. this may also show you block/head/sealing problems.
                  ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

chevmaro18.....you got it right on. My first inspection I didnt see a leak so I didnt think it was leaking. I was driving home( about 10 miles @ 70mph) and I was at 240 degrees. I pulled into my garage and check while it was hot, I did the warm hose- cold hose thing. I didnt even notice that when I put water in it, it came out right under my water pump. Thanks for the help guys but its back in the shop. I should have been smarter.

......And a heads up to utah residents.......
                    I bought the car from low book sales. In my opinion they are crooks. The sales person lied right to my face about it. Good thing the mechanic in the back was a good guy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      4 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X