So just how many quarts of oil do you guys put in your car. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So just how many quarts of oil do you guys put in your car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So just how many quarts of oil do you guys put in your car.

I seem to be getting a different feedback.

I was putting in 5 qt. of Mobil Synthetic till this guy asked me if I had a V8.

Ofcourse I said no, then he said I should only put in 4.

But I have a 2.4 l 4cyl. car and I put 4 qt. and 3 qt. on my 2.0 pick up.

Am I wrong?

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: So just how many quarts of oil do you guys put in your car.

4.5 quarts
    Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
    New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Comment

^^ its true... its science... check ur owners manual... right there in black and white... haha
      disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

I _never_ rely on "how many quarts". I fill the oil filter pretty full before I put it on, I add enough through the filler to get oil on the dipstick and then I carefully fill it up. Then I start the engine, let it run for a minute, and check it again. Do it once carefully, get an idea of how much your car takes, and it goes very fast the next time.

Why go by a guess when your car will tell you the right answer?
        2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I put 5 with the bigger filter in it.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

4.5 here
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Are you guys sure that quarts and not litres?? A litre is smaller than a quart!

I buy the 4.4 litre jug of Moble 1 Synthetic 10W30 and it fills the engine perfectly to the full line. This is with the stock recommended oil filter (not oversized).

And it's not like I have some special car built for Canadian emissions (although all the FBs and Camaros were built in Canada). My FB is second hand from out of Florida.

DZ
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

the manual will say 4.5quarts but I put 5 which goes up to my full line perfectly and you are always suppose to follow the dipstick over anything else.
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

litres....damn metric system. 5 qts here. Advance auto sells a big castrol gtx 5 qt jug which is my friend.
                  Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

a liter is more than a quart.
                    as far as following the dipstick there is no problem with that so long as your car is on level ground.

I use just about 5 quarts with the bigger filter.
                    -Brad
                    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                    :rock:

Comment

what bigger filter can you use? is there another one besides the 3387 that works correctly?

I use fram, high mileage 3387
                      and use 4.5 quarts
                      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I use 5 qts with a regular Wix or Fram filter. Am I damaging anything? I know that too much oil is bad.
                        sigpic
                        1997 Camaro RS A4
                        2006 Chevy Colorado
                        2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Yup, my bad! 1 litre = 1.057 Quarts(US). We're basically talking the same amount here.

I've seen others post that a PF-52 filter is larger (probably in length) thus lends more filter area and holds more oil. I do not know what brand name that number belongs to (Fram, Prestolite, Mr. Gasket, ......???).

DZ
                          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

yes, its like an inch longer
                            when i get fram its p3038 i think
                            Last edited by slow6; 04-28-2006, 01:57 AM.
                            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X