to chip or not to chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to chip or not to chip?

Hey Guys, I've got a 1994 3.4 litre. It's pretty much all stock at the moment. I just got it a couple of months ago and the car is in near mint condition. I guess my problem is that it's got 200,000 kms (120,000 miles) and I'm not sure that I'm willing to invest a lot of money into performance mods with such high mileage. I'm probably going to go with a cold air intake setup pretty soon. And, I've also been thinking about chipping it. I'm a student so I don't have much money to throw at the car and I was considering one of the cheap performance chips off of ebay (under 50 bucks). I don't have any brand in mind yet. My question is, does anyone have any experience with these cheaper chips and do they actually do what they say (increase HP and lower gas consumption) without causing any problems for the car (engine, emissions or ECU)? Also if they are reliable products, does anyone have a particular brand that they would recommend? Thanks for any advice!!!

Re: to chip or not to chip?

don't buy any CHEAP chips off ebay unless it is a jet chip stage 1 or 2, the rest or scams and do nothing.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

the stage 1 and 2 jet chip is about all there is out there for the 3.4. as said above dont waste your money on anything other than a jet chip becuase they are junk.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

no chip, I would suggest texas speed & performance tune
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
          no chip, I would suggest texas speed & performance tune
          Read what car he has before making that statement. ;) They don't do 3.4l fbodies

Comment

i dont really consider that high mileage... mine is a 98 and has 135, nearly 136k on it, she still runs strong

Comment

my buddy has a 94 firebird, hes got 180+k miles, and he sprays, the 3.4 is a pretty damn strong motor, just like the 3.8's, i wouldnt worry about your mileage that much

Comment

I have a 1995 3.4L and just purchased a Jet stage II chip used on this board. It makes a nice difference, it is not a replacement for bigger mods like a cam or set of heads, but for a mostly stock car and a daily driver it suits me fine. I would also stick with the Jet products over the ebay stuff.
                95 Red Camaro 3.4L V6 A4

Comment

I just went to the jet chip website. According to their listings, the jet chip isn't available for a 3.4 litre automatic. There is a stage one and a stage two available, but only for the 3.4 manual. It might just be that they haven't listed it for the automatic transmission. Any thoughts? Anyway it's $309 US. I guess I have to figure out whether 23 HP and a few extra MPG is worth nearly $400 Canadian. Does anyone know of somone who is willing to sell a stage one jet chip for a substantially lower price? Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Jet has a chip for a 1994 3.4L automatic, stock # 19501S for the stage II. I would look for a used in the For Sale section.
                    95 Red Camaro 3.4L V6 A4

Comment

I'm actually looking for the stage one. I guess I didn't make that clear. Does anyone know if the stage one is available for the 3.4 litre (1994) automatic? Also, I looked in the classifieds of this site and no luck. I'll keep looking.

Comment

http://www.freewebs.com/gvvs/fbodyv6electronics.htm

Made for both 94 and 95 3.4l cars

Comment

I am just curious if anyone knows the typical horsepower gains of these two chips? I am just curious to know the bang I am getting for my bucks.

Comment

hey mike88 i have a stage one jet chip for sale for 125 plus shipping only used for about 3 months

let me know
                            email me at jmyers01@baker.edu

thanks
                            Jeremy
                            95 camaro 3.4auto, 3:23 gears, K&n intake, jet stage 1 chip, clear corners, flowmaster 80series, carsound cat,

Comment

my vote is definately to not get a chip, get a texas speed & perf. tune or some other place that does mail-order tuning
                              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                5 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X