just installed thermo its leaking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just installed thermo its leaking!

i just installed my 160* thermo it is leaking i bought the gasket for the thermo so its new i followed the directions posted but i did notice there was a "gasket" (or what was left) btwn the hose and block it got removed when i took out the old thermo do you think that is why it is leaking i mean what else could it be?
    \"its been long over due\"

Re: just installed thermo its leaking!

you need to remove all of the old gasket on the intake and the thermostat housing before installing the new one
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

the gasket literally fits onto the thermo, it fits literally around the thermo
      the fat side goes down into intake, the skinny side goes into the housing
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

well i did it still leaks every so lightly i mean a small drop like 10secs, so what you think buy new gasket for intake and bellhousing caus i notice the one that they sold me at pep boys is SLIGHTLY smaller then the stock one? what you think?

Comment

try some rtv then
          dont overtorque the thermostat housing, i did that twice and broke 2 housings
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

RTV? sorry dude whats that? and i'll look agian about the small end down and big end up but i'll do that after the "rtv" when i find out what it is

Comment

yeah, thick side of gasket down into intake, skinny side up into the thermo housing cover (the side that has the hose).
              the thermo literally fits into the gasket, so the gasket covers the whole outter edge of the thermo
              I can get a pic if you want.
              On the inside of the gasket you will notice its cut out all the way around.

rtv is silicone, its like a glue, its a sealant, that will definately stop any leaks
              """""no gasket is better than its install"""""

Comment

thanks alot man and ya i have it around the gasket, but i'll check if the large side is down and small side up and rtv i will go out and buy some since i need more dexacoo thanks alot man

Comment

dexcool sucks, people have problems with it, i dont know why?
                  its supposed to last longer
                  its bad to mix dexcool and regular antifreeze

just make sure whatever RTV you use, its rated over at least 250F

Comment

you might want to get like a straight razor blade for scraping off old rtv

Comment

you guys talking about the ring around the thermostat, ive never noticed that one end was fatter than the other, they looked pretty equal to me. i just put in a 160, no leaks or anything, but i just stuck that ring back on there and shoved it back in.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                        Low Voltage
                        by Vladimir Gecko
                        I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                        1 hour ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        5 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X