Mulitiple Misfire ?s, done a search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulitiple Misfire ?s, done a search

About a month ago i noticed that my car, when it was cold, would feel like it was misfiring but when it warmed up it was fine. The other day it started sounding like a machine gun when i accelerated and now it sounds like that all the time even at idle. I am not driving the car it is parked until i get it fixed. I have changed plugs, wires, and coils and it has seemed to get worse. Anything else to check? I have heard a vacuum leak could do it, How do you search for a vacuum leak? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by 1997redchevycamarors; 04-11-2006, 11:03 PM.
    1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

Re: Mulitiple Misfire ?s, done a search

hmmm...maybe injectors
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

ive done alot of research for my car on this, and if youre absolutely, positively sure its not a burned spark plug wire touching your exhaust, (quadruple check that), the next place to look would be plug wires arcing off of each other on your coil packs, check the ICM (the ignition control module, its the part that basically replaces the distributor in our distributorless cars, the coil packs sit on top of it and plug into it) you can take it somewhere to get it checked, or you could pick one up from autozone or whereever, swap it onto your car carefully so that you can take it back and get your money back if that wasnt the problem. Our cars can leak water off of the cowl, right onto the ICM, and thats why theyre known to go bad. A more likely culprit could be your o2 sensors, how many miles are on your car? Another could be your catalytic converter, if thats clogged up it could cause a problem..and the last one that would be something worth looking at are your fuel injectors being clogged. Could you give us some more info, like mileage, SES light/codes, last time your fuel filter was changed? Good luck

Comment

I have right at 95000 miles on my car, the code it threw was p0300 and said it had mulitiple misfires. As far as i know the fuel filter has never been changed since I have had it and I have had it since 39000 miles. The guy at autozone had a list of 4 most likely causes. 1.plugs, wires, and coils. 2.vacuum leak. 3.injector fault. 4.fuel pressure too high/too low. I geuss i will try the icm. If it is the injectors, any recommendations on replace brand or size? I have heard that to search for a vacuum leak just spray the hoses with wd40 and if the rpms rise then you found the leak. Anyone know if this is a good way? And another question would it be wise to buy a spark plug tester to see if I am getting spark before I replace my ICM?
        1997 Camaro RS<br /><br />3\" Flowmaster Exhaust,Pacesetter headers,Catco Cat,Cold Air Intake,Clear bumper lights altezzas,chrome rear bumper letters,chrome badges, headlight conversion kit(soon to come),2 12 MTX Thunder 8000, MTX 6500d amp, Fosgate 1 farad cap

Comment

UPDATE.

Today I unpluged and reseated all wires, made sure all plugs were tight and now it isnt misfiring as bad. Went to Autozone to get the code ran and it is P0304 cylinder number 4 misfire. But on the way home the SES light went out but i can still feel a misfire. What can this mean? I have done searches and alot of people say it's the ICM without certainty. Some say get the injectors cleaned. A few people say they can never get it to stop misfiring. Am I in for a long haul?
          Last edited by 1997redchevycamarors; 04-12-2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

My car is doing the exact same thing. It will misfire like crazy, I change the plugs, it goes away and 1500 miles later, its back! After changing the plugs, the old plugs dont look all that bad.

New plugs = no misfire. 1500 miles later = misfire again. ???

I have changed the plug wires too. My car has 67,xxx on it. Its not my cat cuz I just got a new one installed and it was having this problem before that. BTW, its not throwing any codes either.
            sigpic
            1997 Camaro RS A4
            2006 Chevy Colorado
            2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
              My car is doing the exact same thing. It will misfire like crazy, I change the plugs, it goes away and 1500 miles later, its back! After changing the plugs, the old plugs dont look all that bad.

New plugs = no misfire. 1500 miles later = misfire again. ???

I have changed the plug wires too. My car has 67,xxx on it. Its not my cat cuz I just got a new one installed and it was having this problem before that. BTW, its not throwing any codes either.
              Have you tried having your injectors cleaned or changing your ICM?

Comment

Not yet. After reading this thread I will though.
                sigpic
                1997 Camaro RS A4
                2006 Chevy Colorado
                2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

I had (hopefully it's fixed now) the same problem. Replacing the ignition mudule ($157 at AdvancedAuto) seems to have fixed the problem... I just installed it last night so I'll wait a few days and see how it runs.. :bowdown:

Comment

I was told that it wouldn't be the ICM if there was just one cylinder misfiring. And that it would more than likely be a dirty injector or it could be that I am using the bosch platinum +4 plugs. Is anyone using the platinum +4's? He told me that I should go and buy some AC Delco to put in it. Would that be a good thing to do? Or could the plugs be the cause? I don't have 15 miles on them.

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing.
                      1. Replaced the plugs and wires. No help
                      2. Took it to a shop who replaced the first two coil packs and one of the wires. Worked but I could still feal it missing
                      3. I replaced the last coil pack. all good for about 4 minutes then it came back mad as H#LL
                      4. As a last ditch effort I replced the ICM. Didn't help what so ever.
                      5. Giving up I took it to the dealership, The heat shelds were missing from all cylinders and the wires were melted to the block.

I got it back it it's running like a pro again.

Although I can not prove this, I think that it was the ICM the whole time and that the first place that I took it to removed the heat shelds and forgot to put them back on allowing the wires to melt.

Comment

UPDATE

I replaced the Bosch Platinum +4 with AC Delco Iridium plugs and that helped tremendously with the miss. It's in the shop now getting injectors cleaned. I will upgrade when I get it back. If that doesn't get rid of the miss completely i guess I will change the ICM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                          Low Voltage
                          by Vladimir Gecko
                          I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                          8 hours ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          6 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X