• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v6 vs v8 MPG comparison

What would make better gas mileage DD?
    a turboed v6 running high 12s (450+hp)
    or a stock v8 running low 13s

I know that you could turn down the boost and get
    even better gas mileage than stock on the 6.

But what about running like 15psi DD around town?
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Re: v6 vs v8 MPG comparison

The listed gas milage on a LS-1 is 17/25. As far as a turbo car you can keep it out of boost and with a good tuned keep the milage pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird
      ""As far as a turbo car you can keep it out of boost and with a good tuned keep the milage pretty high.""
      well.....

Originally posted by slow6
      ""I know that you could turn down the boost and get
      even better gas mileage than stock on the 6.""
      thats why manufacturers brought back the turbos and supers, for better gas mileage

the first turbo ever designed was put on a fighter diesel airplane, to make better gas mileage, go further in distance, and to go higher in altitude.
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Staying out of boost and turning down the boost are two different things...

Comment

obviously! (not trying to be rude)

heres the question again:
          what would make better gas mileage?
          a stock ls1 running low 13s stock (17/25 MPG)
          or
          a turboed v6 running ~15psi for low 13s ( **/** MPG)
          around town DD?

maybe I should spend more time in research instead of asking members that Have turbos on their 6s what their mileage would be if they always ran like ~15psi around town.

Comment

It's all good. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Comment

No problemo!
              I guess its kind of a stupid question but my friend tells me that he
              would rather have a turbo, than a v8 swap cause it would be more fun.
              I dont know WTH his thinking is? I think a car is fast if it runs 12s, whether its a TT v6 or a v8!
              I know another friend that likes old muscle car v8 (huge torque) rather than the acceleration of a corvette. I guess there is a difference after all....

Comment

gas milage for a v6 isn't that much better... esp if the v8 is an m6
                It\'s a beautiful life<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163</a>

Comment

i know that
                  thanks captain obvious ;)
                  it would've been nice to know if I didnt know that, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cmartin99
                    gas milage for a v6 isn't that much better... esp if the v8 is an m6

Your crazy!!

I had a 370rwhp V6 with a fully built motor, 4.10's, and a 5 speed.. I still got 22-25mpg around the city and 30-32mph on the highway!!

Both my T/A's have headers, full exhaust, basic bolt ons, with stock 3.42's.. Both are T56's.. They each get 12-17mpg around the city and 25-28mpg on the highway.. It all depends on how you drive.. I never took my V6 over 3k rpms just driving because it didnt sound good above 3k.. So that probably helped out with the gas miles.. The T/A's I shift about 4-4500 rpms just driving, especially the 02 WS6 with the loudmouth 2!! The 2000 has a hooker cat back on it and it sounds like poo!!
                    Jeff ..
                    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

No problemo!
                      I guess its kind of a stupid question but my friend tells me that he
                      would rather have a turbo, than a v8 swap cause it would be more fun.
                      I dont know WTH his thinking is? I think a car is fast if it runs 12s, whether its a TT v6 or a v8!
                      I know another friend that likes old muscle car v8 (huge torque) rather than the acceleration of a corvette. I guess there is a difference after all....

All things aside.. I miss my V6 every day.. I had so much fun in that car.. It was such a better feeling beating down T/A's and vettes in a V6 then it is in the T/A's!! I miss all the peoples face's when they ask me " man what cam do you have in your LS1".. I tell them " its a comp custum grind but its only a 6".. There response for that was always " man I never heard a V6 sound that good.. How can I make my Lt1 or GT mustang sound like that?" There is nothing like V8 guys asking you, who have a V6, how to get there cars to sound like yours or run like yours... Just if you build you car, make sure to build the tranny and rear end too! Unlike me I spent all the money in this bad a$$ motor and kept breaking stock trannies and rears.. I finnally got sick of fixing the car and traded her in on my 02 WS6.. Now driving in my WS6 I get scared when V6's roll up next to me and want to run.. Most of the time I beat them but there are still a couple around here that have alot of power.. Like my buddies 96 V6 camaro.. He handed me my butt about 4 months ago from a roll .. He has basically the same stuff done as my old V6.. My other buddie has his STS 01 firebird out and around and I really dont want to run into him on the highway!!
                      Jeff ..

Comment

heres the question again:
                        what would make better gas mileage?
                        a stock ls1 running low 13s stock (17/25 MPG)
                        or
                        a turboed v6 running ~15psi for low 13s ( **/** MPG)
                        around town DD?

maybe I should spend more time in research instead of asking members that Have turbos on their 6s what their mileage would be if they always ran like ~15psi around town.

To answer this question.. On the highway the V6 would probably still have better gas miles but in the city I would think it would be about the same.. I could be wrong since I dont know a whole lot about Turbos..
                        Jeff ..

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird
                          The listed gas milage on a LS-1 is 17/25. As far as a turbo car you can keep it out of boost and with a good tuned keep the milage pretty high.
                          The 98-00 M6's are rated at 17/27
                          01-02 M6's are rated at 19/28
                          2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X