Need a Torque spec on the 1995 3.4L engine - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Torque spec on the 1995 3.4L engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Torque spec on the 1995 3.4L engine

Whats up......I have the 1995 3.4L Camaro. I've done a few searches on where to get some specifics on torque specs for the 3.4L engine.....I've found some stuff, but its not as specific as I need it to be. The torque spec I'm looking for is on the bolt that attaches the oil filter adapter to the engine block. The reason? I have a small oil leak that is coming out of that bolt and it is dripping right onto my exhaust. Doing some research, it turns out this bolt has an O-ring seal on it. Now normally I'm not too caught up on how many ft-lbs a bolt should be torqued, just depends.....but I think this bolt is fairly important, considering that it is the only bolt holding on the oil filter adapter (I think), it has an O-ring seal, and it has to put up with some oil pressure.

I have referenced the Haynes and Chilton manuals and have come up empty handed. I asked a GM Parts dealer, and they said they don't have that kind of information. But, after doing some search on this forum, my best chance for finding that spec is buying the GM Service Manuals. I hear that its a two volume set for around 90 bucks. That's fine. But I'd hate to buy them, and they end up not having the torque information on this specific bolt.

I'm asking if anyone that has these service manuals could possibly tell me if this information is listed in one of the volumes. And to better describe what bolt I'm talking about, I have an exploded view of the oil filter area of the engine. Here's the link:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...e5e63fc6f2.jpg

The bolt I'm talking about is #410. You may have to scroll half way to the right and half way to the left. I'd appreciate any help. And if no one has the service manuals, is there a good chance that this information can be found in the service manuals?

Thanks

Re: Need a Torque spec on the 1995 3.4L engine

umm..lol, sorry, i dunno if this helps or not, but im sittin at my computer and theres a haynes manual for an 82-92 camaro sitting in front of me, and its says the torque spec for that bold for a third gen v6 is 29 ft. lbs. I was gonna go out to tha garage and grab the haynes manual for my newer camaro, but ...its cold out there... and you already said you checked. soo, sorry if this post doesnt help you at all.....but good luck

Comment

Oh yeah, thanks a lot.....yeah, I checked in the newer manual, and it doesn't list the spec for the 3.4, it does for the 3.8, but of course that one has a different setup. If all else fails, I'll use the 29 ft. lbs. Thanks.

Still, if anyone knows whether or not the service manuals list this sort of information, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be running into a lot of other detail-ish things in the future. Thanks.
      Last edited by BBlandin87; 04-07-2006, 08:49 AM.

Comment

The torque spec for the 95 3.4 is 50 ft/lbs
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

you worry too much. Get on it and see if maybe it just came loose, if so snugg it down. If its already tight, install new oring and reinstall. I have nearly rebuilt my complete engine, and never used a torque wrinch.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72
            you worry too much. Get on it and see if maybe it just came loose, if so snugg it down. If its already tight, install new oring and reinstall. I have nearly rebuilt my complete engine, and never used a torque wrinch.
            :poke: did you only use vise grips too:rolleyes:
            Last edited by BLLDOGG; 04-07-2006, 07:54 PM.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Thanks Skinny, and thanks BLLDOGG for backing me up.....I appreciate the help!

Now I'm not trying to keep this thread running.....but could you tell me where you got that information? I would enjoy having a book (if it was a book) that told me specifics such as this. Thanks.

Comment

I know its not the same but a 98 3.4 takes 29 ft. lbs.

I cant find the spec in my haynes manual and SI only goes back to 98'
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Thanks for the info........I'll try the 29 ft lbs first......Appreciate all the help!

Comment

I got my info from a 95 Fbody service manual. I'm a tech at a Pontiac dealership.
                    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X