how thick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how thick

i have a 2000 firebird with almost 1 hundered tousand miles on it. i am switching from regular 5w30 to synthetic. how thick should i get it.

Re: how thick

I think that's backwards - 5-30 if cold; 10-30 if hot. GM recommends 10-30.
    95Camaro3.4T5Conv Red/White*SLP Bilsteins*BMR Tower Brace*CAI*NiehoffIgn*NGK PlatPlugs*DelcoHiPerfWires*FlowmasterCatback*RedDe vilReso(no cat)* DynoMax Muffler*B & M Shifter*Eurolite Lamps*Yokohama Avid 235/55/16*GM 3.73s*Auburn LSD*Sirius*All DONE!

Comment

I've heard that synthetic will damage your seals if you have more that 75,000 miles. Sometime ago I started using synthetic. After that the rear seal and gasket started dripping. Others say that is OK using synthetic if you add some extra-additive to protect your seals. Yesterday I changed the oil and I used High Mileage Castrol GTX (contains additives to protect seals) because I was not sure about synthetic. My desicion of not using synthetic for now came from the amount of money I spent for the dealer to change the rear seal and gaskets.
      Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

do NOT switch to synthetic

Comment

synth won't damage seals, it just seeps through leaks that regular, thicker oil, caint.
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

Hmmmm, I always thought the thicker oil was for colder weather.
            K&N CAI, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5\" Cat-back exhaust w/ 40 series Muffler (single piped exit), Pacesetter Midlength Headers, TB Bypass.<br /><br />Vid of my 3.4 - <a href=\"http://media.putfile.com/Headers49\" target=\"_blank\">http://media.putfile.com/Headers49</a>

Comment

Originally posted by fast 3.4
              Hmmmm, I always thought the thicker oil was for colder weather.

no, it is the opposite

Comment

How good is to use those additives sold separate that protect seals?
                Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

10w-30 is what I would use most of the time. Maybe 0-30 or 5-30 in winter.
                  I wouldn't bother switching to syn if your engine already leaks.

Keep away from 99% of the additives, especially if there isn't something wrong with the motor now!
                  \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X