• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Synthetic, blend or regular

wow that makes perfect sense
    Its obviously a waste to buy the 15k mile extended oil if the
    filter doesnt last.
    I am gonna go attach a magnet to my oil relief bolt(on the bottom of the oil pan)
    I dont know why the stock oil relief bolt didnt come with a magnet? gay
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Your logic about the filters is sound, but the reality is a little different. Let me start with the disclaimer that I change my oil and filter at least every 6 months/5,000ish miles.

Filters are, indeed, designed to go beyond 3,000 miles. All the ones that "meet OEM specs" have to, as most manufacurers are extending the drain intervals. There aren't too many manufacturers left that require the 3,000 mile oil change, but it certainly can't hurt. Take the GM oil life monitor for example. It might go as long as 8,000 miles or longer to light up. That was tested with the OEM spec filter in place.

Filter makers are even changing their marketing-- look at the Mobil 1 EP filters, and the Amsoil EaO filters. Both claim full effectiveness WELL past 3,000 miles. Would I run 'em for the full 15,000 miles? Not likely- maybe half that long.

Just so you know, GM oil filters DO NOT have a built-in bypass valve. It is built into the engine block, not the filter. Most do have an anti-drainback valve.

I send every oil change in to a lab to be analyzed. Part of the results is telling me the percentage of "insolubles" is in the used oil; it's a measure of how well the oil filter is doing it's job. Maximum normal level is 0.6% for our engine. My last two results [on 6 month/5000 mile intervals] was 0.2% and 0.3%, respectively.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this makes sense.
      Last edited by terminaldegree; 04-10-2006, 10:34 PM.
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

YOU have got to give us a filter comparisson test sheet!!!!
        I want to see how well different oil filter brands compete/perform!!!!
        I want the best filter!
        unless a filter is a filter is a filter... is a paper filter...
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

For oil filters I use synthetic media filters if possible - like Moble 1 or Amsoil - then Napa Gold, Wix, Pure One

Once apon a time some Synthetics were Ester based. Some of the ester bases had compatability problems with some seals and gaskets - even internal coatings - and they were cause for some failures, leaks, etc...Now there are super esters that are not bad for seals.
          Most of todays Synthetics are Polyalphaolfin or PAO based which do not cause these problems.

At the above mentioned web site you can read up on auto oils and filters.
          They influnced me to use GC also known as Green Castrol - er a now its Gold Castrol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            3 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X