Are fuel injector problems common on 98+ 3.8Ls? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are fuel injector problems common on 98+ 3.8Ls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are fuel injector problems common on 98+ 3.8Ls?

When I got my CAT replaced they also scanned some misfires caused by injectors... they reccomended a fuel injection service... I did have soem misfire problems but they have long gone away...

Either way... as soon as I get the money plan to do plugs wires, heat sleeves for the wires... Think I should go for a fuel injector servicing, or is this another typical way for the dealer to get money out of you?

Normally I would blow it off as some bad gas since the car is so new but I blew off a bad cat and it was bad at 37,000

my cat was shot at around 48000 i think it was, i took to GM and they had to do all the work for free because of some fedural standards. but i havnt had any injection probs.
    1999 Camaro V6, 3.8L,Flowmaster 80, AR 17\"X9.5\" Torq-Thrust II Yokohama275/40WR/17,B&MRipper,BMR STB,BRM Lower Arm Relocation Brackets.

Comment

can you get auto tap and see if your running really lean or rich? that would tell you something about you injectors, not only that you can run that test on them and auto tap check the load on the motor if one of the injectors is bad is will show up plan as day
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

seriously look @ some of the other posts by us people with 98's between 30-60k miles

theres like 4 or 5 on this page

It seems to be very common to have one or two misfires, but not the INJECTOR being bad, but something else.

Personally, I found that my "injector misfires" ended up being valves that were stuck open.

Check out some of the other posts....
        Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

I am assuming my wires are on the way out... they do have 37,500 on them which in my opinion is getting to the point, I think 40,000 is the limit on wires, especially in a car known to have a problem frying them.

Comment

I personnally think that the so called "fuel injection service" is just a profit generator for the dealer.

They will want you to do it (at your cost) for just about any engine running complaint even if the problem ends up being something else that is unrelated to the fuel system.

I have experienced this with both of my Mustangs and with my Mom's Bonneville. When the MAF sensor failed on my '93 5.0 (at 14K miles, under warrantee) they wouldn't even touch it to do the warrantee repair without the fuel injection service being done 1st. I finally got them to agree to not charge me for it in the event that the fuel injection service did not fix the problem (I knew it wouldn't). Similar experience with the plug wires on the Bonneville at the Pontiac dealer.
            2002 Camaro Coupe<br />Navy Blue, A4, Y87<br />Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box<br />SLP Bow-Tie Grill, HPP3

Comment

did you check the plugs? and i think the FI service is bs, and its probably bad because you ran with open tb, and no belt ;)

merlin
              2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

I haven't had the msfires in awhile but the guy was kinda shady... he said I had codes stored in my computer from the fuel injectors misfiring... leaning to say the computer was reading it as a misfire... Seemed kinda funky but then again my fecking cat went out at 37,000 miles and I know 3.8Ls are waay more unreliable over 3.4Ls...

Comment

I've taken my car several times for warranty to Sherwood Pontiac, Delray Beacg, and each time they recommended a FI cleaning service. It is a total scam with them. One of the times they recommended a FI clean was seven days AFTER i had just had it done elsewhere.

South Florida drivers: Beware of Sherwood Pontiac, on Federal Highway, Delray Beach. They recommend totally unnecessary fuel injector cleanings.

Let me repeat that:
                  SHERWOOD PONTIAC, ON FEDERAL HIGHWAY IN DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA HABITUALLY RECOMMENDS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY FUEL INJECTOR CLEANINGS. BEWARE OF THIS SCAM!!!!

Oh, my car is there for service right now - and yup - they tried to pull the fuel injector cleaning scam again.

Yes, fuel injector cleaning is needed from time to time - but this is a scam.

[ March 06, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

use Barryman's fuel injector cleaner once a month and worry not [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

Comment

i've had my car between 62k miles and 75k and have had a bad injector, plugs, wires and a coil pack. (I was going to replace the plugs and wires anyway). I know there's alot of heat there, but that wouldn't cause the injectors to mess up, would it?
                      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X