Security Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Light

Every so often my security light doesnt go off after i start the car...and when i does stay on like 20 mins later after i drive it will also sometimes just turn off...any1 know why my light stays on?

87 Firebird RIP
    96 Camaro RS RIP
    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Re: Security Light

mine used to do that, until I reflashed it with a new tune
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

can i just get it programed out since i do have a 97 pcm?

87 Firebird RIP
      96 Camaro RS RIP
      02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Why did you reflash it or did you just get ride of it?

you dont want to just get rid of it, its telling you there is a problem.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

no i didnt put in a new tune, i just flashed it back to an old stock tune
          didnt delete out the code
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

might not be reading the chip in your key correctly and it is triggering it. Do you have an extra key to try?
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

PassKey II is a function of the BCM. Reprogramming the PCM shouldn't have any effect on it. ;)

Try another key like 97rs4life suggested. It could also be the white wire in the lock cylinder coming loose.
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Yea mine does the same thing on my 98.

I usually just jiggle the key and within a few seconds it goes away.

Anyone know where to get pass II key blanks?
                3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

i tried my spare key but it didnt go off...i ended up drivin to get some food and the light went off 5 mins into the drive...so maybe its that white wire

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96
                    i tried my spare key but it didnt go off...i ended up drivin to get some food and the light went off 5 mins into the drive...so maybe its that white wire
                    I had this problem shortly after purchasing my 99 Camaro. Finally the car wouldn't start at all. Found out I had an open circuit in the wiring causing the "security" feature of the chip in the key not to be recognized by the car. If I didn't have my warranty, the dealership it was a $1500 job. Get that fixed before you can't start your car when you need it.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2287597

:( SOLD! NO LONGER A CAMARO OWNER :(

Comment

I have the same problem, however my security light is constantly on, I just bought the car about 3 months ago, and the guy that sold it too me said that it is has always been on. A few friends of mine say that it is becasue i have a aftermarket stereo and that there is a loose connection somewhere, and that the computer is reading that my stereo has been stolen. is there any truth to this?

Also how can i fix it, just for the mere fact that i dont like seeing it. =]

Comment

i dunno about chips and whatnot in the keys. Last time i checked, that little pill near the plastic part where you grab the key is the only security feature. All that thing is is just a resistor that completes the circuit for the fuel pump. the ECM reads a certain resistance in the key, otherwise, it wont complete the circuit to the fuel pump.
                        battery-key-ecm-f/p-battery again
                        something like that. i doubt we have real computer chips in the keys cuz that'd mean we'd need batteries to power our keys.

and i dont think it has anythign to do with the radio. the radio has its own little theft protection password system. i'll bet its a wire in the ignition. all i can think of
                        Last edited by Camaro Dom; 04-05-2006, 05:14 PM.
                        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

I found this article about the resistor in the key.
                          http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_n14890664
                          and this
                          http://www.drdetailshop.com/gmpellet.htm
                          and Mid America Corvette sells a vats disable for 86-91.
                          http://www.madvet.com/shop?part=1.862.601114
                          or this modue that bypasses the vats
                          http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=1&keywords=601-116

steven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X