How do you change spark plugs and wires on a 01 Camaro? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you change spark plugs and wires on a 01 Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you change spark plugs and wires on a 01 Camaro?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 v6 Camaro. I just bout Iridium spark plugs and a set of MSD wire to replace the stock ones. I notice that is in impossible to change the spark plugs do to the lack of space and each spark plug have its individual heat shield. I Have know idea were to start and what tools should I use. Can you guys help me with this one.

Thanks

Re: How do you change spark plugs and wires on a 01 Camaro?

well changing the plugs on our cars is a big pain in the butt. You pretty much got to get all the extensions rachets and everything you can find and then break your arm in 2 places to get them all out. But really the only way to do it is to attack it whichever way you can. Usually the pass side front plug needs to be taken out from the top of the engine and the rest you can pretty much get from the bottom. You might need to take the heat shields off the manifolds to get at them better. It took me a couple hours when I first did mine before the headers. Make sure you take one wire at a time so you don't get them mixed up.

There are some other forums talking about changing spark plugs that you can dig up by using the search feature here in the gen tech section.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRalph
        Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 v6 Camaro. I just bout Iridium spark plugs and a set of MSD wire to replace the stock ones. I notice that is in impossible to change the spark plugs do to the lack of space and each spark plug have its individual heat shield. I Have know idea were to start and what tools should I use. Can you guys help me with this one.

Thanks
        for stuff like this a hanes manual from your local autozone would be well worth it. it can be done, with heat shields and all, at least on log style 3.8's i dont know if theres some sort of excessively restrictive heat shield on the tubulars.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I'm going to buy Hanes manual one right

thanks again.

Comment

best advice I can give you is to get some gear wrenches. They're open ended socket wrenches and they really make the job alot easier.

Another thing to do is get some headers... they make it a little easier too ;)

Comment

well i just finished my tune up (wires and plugs) with my dad. took around 4 hours or so. after you get into the groove of things, its a little easier. try to route all the wires as close to stock as possible too. I burned a wire just the other day. thank God Advanced Discount allowed me to swap out for a new one. so dont do that. hope it goes well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X