More Misfiring On A 3.8 :0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Misfiring On A 3.8 :0

Well, I was out at the mall saturday, right before I was about to head out of town for the weekend. The car was running fine previously, but about half-way to pick my friend up it started running weird. At low rpm's & light acceleration it runs just fine, but it wont go above 3500-4000rpm when its warm or 4500rpm when its cold, and when I really punch the throttle it bogs down right away. I parked the car saturday and we took his mustang out of town.

I hooked up my OBD-II scanner when I got home last night and it wasnt pulling any codes. I went to start it and it would run for a second before it stalled. When I finally got it running and took it for a drive it did the same things I mentioned above. I got back to the house and re-scanned the codes and pulled nothing.

Anyway, I have a feeling its the plug wires that have gone bad due to heat (I had nearly the same problem on my old car), so I'll change them tonight.

What are your thoughts on this if plug wires dont fix it?
    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Re: More Misfiring On A 3.8 :0

have you recently changed the fuel filter or done a good tune up with the car? Might just need a good tuneup with plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

my car has been missing horribly
      I just changed plugs, wires, coils, ICM, and running back on stock injector tune, so obviously my injectors must be clogged @ 38k miles
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Well I went and changed the plugs & wires tonight and the problem didnt go away. I'm not pulling any codes, but according to the scanner, one of the o2 sensors might be going bad. Could this be causing problems like this, or should I be swapping out my ICM & Coils? How much do they cost?

Also, a tip for anyone working near you starter: Either disconnect the battery or remove all jewlery.
        When I was removing the wires on the drivers side, my gold watch connected the positive wire on the starter to a ground and I got a nice shock. I took off my watch and my wrist has a bunch of 3rd degree burns on the bottom & sides now.

Comment

This is a shot in the dark, but i'd tell you to try it. Test your Mass Airflow Sensor. Sounds like exactly what happened to me. It wont always throw a code either, use the ohm meter and check the wires, make sure your not getting any odd pulses. If it doesnt pulse, tap on it some, see if it does.
          1996 Chev Camaro RS 3.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1</a>

Comment

Hmm. Could bad O2 sensors cause this problem? I plugged my scanner is again and it didnt pull any codes, but it did warn me about possible 02 sensor goin bad. The more I think of it though, the o2 sensors might just be getting bad readings because of the current problems.

Comment

your problem is either the fuel filter, or a cloged cat.

Comment

or your fuel pump
                <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

when I unplug the maf, the computer reports bad o2s wacko
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X