Hatch doesn't open fully on first try - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch doesn't open fully on first try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch doesn't open fully on first try

When I hit the hatch button in the car or on the remote, the hatch opens slightly, but not all of the way. I usually have to hit the button again and pull up on the hatch at the same time, or the catch just doesn't let go.

I'm guessing the tube/arm mechanisms that hold the trunk open/closed are pulling down to tight. Is there any way to adjust those?
    2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

My 2002 manual tells me you have to press the hatch button twice on the remote to get it to release. I think it's because folks were inadvertently opening it when it was only one press. I know I did it lots on my 94 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't know about the inside release, I never use that one, I'll have to try it.

Comment

My 99 firebird doesn't have an inside switch that I know of, if there is tell me where it is. And the reason it doesn't open all the way is because the shocks are wore out, they don't have the strength to push it up anymore by theirself.

Comment

nope...shocks are just fine...if it holds your trunk open when up your shocks are fine....if you open your trunk and pull back the carpet surrounding the release system...you'll see a spring ...this spring is what pushes the trunk latch up so it clears the hatch release and you can lift your trunk up...go buy another spring about the same length, and attach it to the current spring, and your done...my car did the same thing....oh ya...SEARCH...been discussed ;)

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Nikon is correct again, I fixed the same problem, with the exact same solution.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Inside release switch on my 98 is to the left of the steering wheel, on the downslope side of the dash. Yellow button, cant miss it. Oh yeah, the button will not work if the car is on and the emergency brake is not engaged.
            98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

Go to Install University.

In the Misc install section they have 2 separate fixes for cranky hatch releases that don't fully release on the first twitch of the solenoid.

-Jeff
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

does anyone with the inside hatch release button have a problem with it sometimes? sometimes when i press it, the solonoid in the back doesnt release the hatch. Sometimes the button doesnt even work at all, and i have to turn the damn car off, get out, and use the key. Kind of a PITA.

(oh, i DO NOT have a problem with the hatch not opening. I use the rubber adjustment things)

Comment

My rubber things were fine I had already adjusted them numerous times...

I just did the spring mod. works perfectly... cost $3.75 for a set of 2 springs, at Lowes. If you were local, I would sell you the other sprong for $1

[ March 02, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X