HELP!!! SES light, scanning gives no feedback - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!! SES light, scanning gives no feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! SES light, scanning gives no feedback

I spilled soda on my shifter [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] (auto) and it was really sticky when I shifted from park to drive etc. So I took out my center console and cleaned it. Now I am getting a SES light. I took it to autozone, and the guy said he wasnt getting any feedback from where he plugged it in.

The is what I did:

Unplugged the battery
    took out the airbag fuse
    took out console, unplugged cigarrete lighter from console
    cleaned, and did the reverse process

Shifter is nice and clean, but I'd like to know what (if anything) is wrong with my car. I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

So what does it sound like to you guys?
    2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

You might have gotten some soda in the plug for the airbag sensor (highly unlikely, but still...).
    <a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> <br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/c_o_jones\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a></b><br />--This doesn\'t change the fact that I am ~The Guru~ who still kicks puppies...

Comment

Nah, it was just a few drops on the black part that moves back and forth.

btw, I got the SES light AFTER I took out the console, so I know it wasn't that.

Comment

you probably didn't hook something back up, check it again...

merlin
        2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

when he scanned your car was the SES light on?

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
            when he scanned your car was the SES light on?
            yep

Comment

Originally posted by redbird00:
              you probably didn't hook something back up, check it again...

merlin
              i plugged in the battery and cig lighter for sure, ill check the air bag fuse

but would an air bag fuse give an SES light and cause it not to give a code?

Comment

I would unplug everything and make sure all connections are dry and making good contact. The air bag fuse is back in right? Dont know if that would cause the ses light to come on.

Comment

Now i could be wrong, but arent some of the "cheaper" code scanners just designed to retrieve P or powertrain codes? If this is the case then there scanner wouldnt retrieve any srs codes because its a totaly different seperate system. I could be mistaken, but i have heard of this.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside</a>

Comment

I 'VE PUT MY AUTO X-RAY SCANNER ON SOME VEHICLES & THEY DID'NT RESPOND.I AKED MY MY AUTO INSTRUCTOR @ TVY TECH WHAT TO DO & HE SAID TO UNPLUG ONE SENSOR & START ENGINE TO INDUCE A CODE.HE EXPLAINED THIS IS SOMETIMES DONE TO "WAKE UP" THE ECM & ITS POSSIBLE TO RETRIVE OTHER STORED CODES SUBSEQUETLY.BUT "Y87.." MAY BE RIGHT , YOU MADE NEED A UNIT THAT REEDS THE BCM'S MAL. CODES.
                    geocor

Comment

The scanner he used said ODBII, which I think is good enough? I dunno. Geocor what "one sensor" should I unplug to "Wake up" the ECM?

Comment

ANY MONITORED SENSOR SHOULD DO,IE. MASS AIR FLOW ,IAC,IAT,OR EVEN DISCONNECTING A PLUG WIRE TO GET A SPECIFIC MISFIRE CODE.THEY SHOULD(ANY ONE SENSOR MENTIONED)GET THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE TO START SENDING CODES,& HOPEFULLY THE ONE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.DON'T TRY TO DISCONNECT ANYTHING LEADING TO THE AIR BAG SYS.,THAT CAN GET PRETTY TRICKEY & END UP DEPLOYING IT,A NO-NO FOR SURE!A LOT OF OBD2 READERS DO EXTRACT BODY CONTROLL MODULE MALF. BUT IT MAY BE A POWERTRAIN MALF. & MAY BE UNREALATED TO YOUR RECENT DISMANTLING.I HAD AN OCCATION OF A BUDDY'S 95 MONTE CARLO NOT RESPONDING TO THE CODE READER & IT DID START GIVING CODES ,INCLUDING THE ONE HE NEEDED AFTER DISCONNECTING THE IAT SENSOR.HOPE YOU HAVE SUCH LUCK TO FIND SOMETHING MINOR ,HIS NEEDED A NEW PCM ,& THE CODE CAME OUT AS SUCH.IT RAN GREAT AFTER THE PCM REPLACEMENT.ITS A NO COST DEAL TO DO THIS "WAKE UP" ,& I'VE NEVER KNOWN IT TO HURT ANYTHING,AS I'VE DONE IT ON MY CAMARO ,TO TEST THE ABILITY OF THE AUTO X-RAY UNIT TO SEE IF IT PICKED UP THE VARIOUS SENSORS I DICONNECTED& DONE IT MANNY TIMES WITH NO ADVERSE EFFECTS.IN THE MEANTIME I'LL LOOK IN MY GM SHOP MANUAL FOR BCM CODE RETIEVALS ,ITS FOR A'03 VETTE ,BUT THE PROCEEDURE IS SIMILAR FOR A CAMARO.
                        geocor

Comment

easy on the CAPS there bud
                          96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X