Car Shutting off when running....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Shutting off when running....

Today i started the car like normal as soon as i start it, it immediately turned off. So i start it again with no problems.

5 min later on the road the car completely shut off, the rpms went down, the AC cut off and the radio cut off also. Then as soon as this happened the car started up by its self and i kept driving normally, all thois happened like within 2 seconds.

Now the ??? will this lead to anything more seriously? Anything i should check?

BTW car is a 94 Camaro 3.4 A4 with 115k

sounds like a short some were,check for water were it should not be, thats the best i can tell you in that area
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

could be the wires for the PASSKEY thing going out. In my search onm the subjest, those wires appear to be of a small grade & break easily for some reason.
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

If the radio loses power as well, it is almost certainly going to be electrical. If you can get your car to a parts store, have them test your battery and alternator. Make sure it is a salesperson who knows what they are doing, sometimes it's a bad alternator, but since the battery has been drained, they will tell you it's the battery, when in truth, the battery may be salvagable (was that the longest sentence ever?) [img]smile.gif[/img]

At home you can check your battery cables yourself. Look to see if there are any burn spots from being too close to the motor or if the coating is cut or frayed anywhere. Be sure to check the ground to make sure it is tight at the battery AND the block, as the ground can be as much if not more of a problem than the power cable. Hope this gets you started.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
          If the radio loses power as well, it is almost certainly going to be electrical. If you can get your car to a parts store, have them test your battery and alternator. Make sure it is a salesperson who knows what they are doing, sometimes it's a bad alternator, but since the battery has been drained, they will tell you it's the battery, when in truth, the battery may be salvagable (was that the longest sentence ever?) [img]smile.gif[/img]
          i read that like 30 times and yes it seems it is grammer corect from when i can tell just take out the "but" [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] ;)
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
            At home you can check your battery cables yourself. Look to see if there are any burn spots from being too close to the motor or if the coating is cut or frayed anywhere.
            I just checked that right now everything is good from the wires to the alt to the battery to the battery to the chassis.

Comment

seems to me that most likely be an alternator issue. you can run a vehicle without a battery so its doubtful that the battery is bad. alternator, make sure that the cable that plugs into it isnt loose. sounds like the alternator may have stopped producing power then started producing power again. best way to test the battery and alternator is to start the car, unplug the battery, if the car still runs then your alternator is good, but if it dies once you disconnect the battery, your alternator is bad
              k&n, flowmaster 80 series,wings west body kit, resonator removed, 180 therm.,carbon fiber,graphics, and a brand new 3.8 engine and tranny.<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/jbfirebird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/jbfirebird</a>

Comment

it could be something to do with my alt i have a HO 180 and a duralast 800 CCA battery and i push my system a lot everyday.

I would say maybe it is either one BC say im at a light and i have my blinker on, my battery gaugr will just slightly move with the flickering of the blinker.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfirebird:
                  best way to test the battery and alternator is to start the car, unplug the battery, if the car still runs then your alternator is good, but if it dies once you disconnect the battery, your alternator is bad
                  Please don't do that. On newer vehicles, it can cause spikes in current/voltage and other bad side effects to your electrical system. It could very easily harm your PCM and other electrical components. It isn't nearly as bad on older vehicles, but new ones, it's a bad thing:) My $.02
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X