Engine removal pics and info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal pics and info...

I have received quite a few e-mails lately from people who want to do engine swaps asking me how I removed my old motor. To make a long story short, I lifted the car up real high with a cherry picker and took the motor and tranny out from the bottom on a dolly. Once you disconnect anything in the way (radiator, tranny lines, fuel lines, wiring, etc) the engine and tranny will come off with just 10 bolts. 6 on the k-member and 4 on the tranny crossmember.

My cardomain site has pictures of the setup on page 2. Enjoy [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

i was just about to post a question asking this question. i really havent done much interms of mechanical work but i did put in my own tranny and clutch. do you think i could do this. you say it took 50 hours. wow. is there any details you could give me or advice hangups in advance b4 i start im taking out a 3.4l and putting another one in

thanx man
    I pledge aliegence to the flag that sits on the front facia of my camaro and to the Mickey Thompsons that make it stand two tires under torque indivisable

Comment

is it any easier to take it from the top?
      I pledge aliegence to the flag that sits on the front facia of my camaro and to the Mickey Thompsons that make it stand two tires under torque indivisable

Comment

I'm not sure if it's any easier to take it out the top. I would do what's more comfortable for you and your skill level. 50 hours was a rough (and probably high) estimate which included the time from when I drove it on the ramps to the time I drove it off (with the new motor and trans).

Here's a few tips I can give:

--When removing the front suspension, leave the lower control arms on the k-member, that way your alignment will still be close when you're done. However you will still need one to set the toe, but at least you'll be drivable.
        --Label in little baggies every nut and bolt you take off the car with its location and the torque spec for it.
        --Have a power bleeder handy for the brake system since you will be removing the lines.
        --Have the AC system discharged so you do not vent R-134A into the atmosphere
        --Take your time and be careful

I will post more stuff as I remember it. :D

Good luck!

Comment

*Sigh* I'm in the middle of pulling my engine right now. I've got the engine unbolted and hanging from the lift, but I CAN'T get it out the top! I just can get enough clearance between the oil pan and the K-Member / Top of Engine bay and the intake.

I'm going to pulll the intake to make room I think.

*Sigh*
          1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Whoops!

My last post was meaning to say, I wish I had done it your way. I just thought out the top would be less work.

Getting the tranny out the bottom was easy as pie. But the engine coming out the top is another story.
            1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X