Installing transmission / water temp. gauge - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing transmission / water temp. gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing transmission / water temp. gauge

I've recently bought a autometer transmission temp. gauge and was wondering if anyone knew the write up for the install, or can link me to where a write up is.

Is it difficult? What additional tools / parts might I need? Any help would help me out and pictures would definately help me.

The same question also applies to the install on the water temp gauge. Any pictures or write up on the install of the water gauge would help me out a lot.

Also, where did you guys put the wiring? How did you run your lines?
    99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Re: Installing transmission / water temp. gauge

ttt ... installed a transmission temp. gauge but bringing this thread back from the dead. yes, it's been 5 years, hehe.

still curious to know where to install the sender for the water temp. gauge. anyone?
    99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Comment

wth??...its been 5 years and you still havent installed it?? lol

Comment

haha, kind of. i installed a transmission temp. gauge but I sold the water temp. gauge. i bought another one cause the weather is too damn hot now a days and didn't want to create another post.

Comment

going to have to remove the current coolant temp sensor and put a tee in for both the stock coolant temp sensor and your aftermarket gauge sending unit
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

^ thanks; sound easy enough. would you happen to know where the coolant temp. sensor is located and the fitting size? tried searching and couldn't find it.

Comment

front of the engine, lower intake, under the throttlebody. Thread size, no idea, maybe 3/8"? Take it out and go to the hardware store with it and hit up the brass fitting section
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Although using a T will work, just be aware that the gauge may read a few degrees low. This is due to the T being a dead end run for the sensor, so with no flow past it, the heat its reading is from conduction through the T fitting itself. The T allows for radiation of heat, so the sensor is effectively at the end of a radiator, reading a bit low.

You could drill and tap a hole in the aluminum manifold and put the sensor directly into the block near the thermostat for a more accurate reading, if you want to take it that far.

Just an option.

Comment

How about splicing into the stock coolant sensor's wiring? Can an aftermarket gauge be run properly off of the stock sensor?
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

aerforforce gauge....worth every penny. I know for a fact theyve been on sale a couple times over the last 5 years haha.

Sorry for useless info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X