Changing the o-ring on the oil gear drive - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the o-ring on the oil gear drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the o-ring on the oil gear drive

Aright so i think i narrowed down my oil leak on my 3.4 to the oil gear drive based on posts i've found on here. So i got the o-ring and i'm gonna change it this weekend...sooo here are my questions.

Any tips on the o-ring install?

What else should i change while i've got the fuel rail and upper intake manifold out?

so far i'm doing

Upper intake gasket
    Valve cover gaskets
    Fuel injector o-rings
    Throttle body gasket
    1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

felpro makes cork and rubber valve cover gaskets...what's the difference?
    1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

Finally got the O-ring on the oil gear drive changed out. Took about 8 hours with breaks. It was a major PITA. Some tips for anyone doing this install: If you have a high mileage engine, buy lots of carb/intake cleaner, you'll need it. Also deep well sockets are very handy when doing this because of the tight clearance in the engine bay.

Comment

Also install a sbc distributor gasket before installing the decapitated distributor. $0.79 extra insurance, but worth it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

I've got a 93 3.4, I thought it was a Distributorless Ignition System?

Comment

if you look in the back of the motor, probably w/mirror ;) , underneath the rear of the upper plenum, there is the oil pump drive shaft housing. basically it's decapitaed distributor. there is also a hold down clamp for it. This seems to be a common area for oil leaks in the 2.8~3.4 motors, along w/the valve cover gaskets.
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

I could be mistaken, but i thought that was what i replaced. Maybe we're both talking about the same thing. The o-ring i replaced was on what is termed the oil gear drive from most of my research. It is a cylindrical unit with a gear and a long narrow shaft (no laughing :D ) that drops into the block on the back and is secured with a clamp that covers half of the top. it stopped my oil leak.

Comment

that's it. Before yo plop that sucker down, get that distributor gasket to cover the top & provide an extra seal between the bottm on the drive gear dohicky & the block.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/atta...postid=1407952

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: 3.4 slow to go ]</p>
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

oops too late...lol...but i'm gonna pull the heads soon to have them magnafluxed and a valve job done. (didn't have time before...had to go on a trip the next day) so i may redo that to keep it from going out again. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X