Whining sound coming from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining sound coming from engine

A few weeks ago I noticed a somewhat loud whining sound coming from my engine. I hear the sound and then every 10 seconds or so I will hear a click and the whine will get softer, and then 10 seconds later it will click again and get louder. Anyone ever have any problem like this and know what it is/how to fix it? Thanks---
    1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Uhh.

Electric Fans kicking in?

Belts?
    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

I would say it was your belts. Usually whining like you're describing is a worn belt. Then again it could be something else. Just check your serpentine belt.
      R.I.P. 1995 3.4L Firebird<br />2000 Acura Integra GS-R<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/superfighter3581/myfirebird.html\" target=\"_blank\">Check out my site: Updated! as of 7/03/02</a>

Comment

I was had whining sound coming from my car and it turned out to be a bad barring(sp?) on one of the pullies. first thing you should do it get a Stethiscope(sp?) like a Doctor uses but for cars and that will tell you where the sound is coming from. All you do it touch the part of the engine you think is making the sound and you will know right away if its it or not. If its clicking on and off I would say its your fan. Maybe time for a new one?
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

does this clicking thing happen when your ac is turned on?? if so it's proably the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging... if this happens ALL the time I'd get your ac checked.. when the compressor cycles every few seconds like that constantly it means the pressure is too low for the compressor to work proplerly so it cycles to keep from burning up..

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

I agree with black v6. Turn on your AC and see if it goes away. Mine does.
            1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

No with the AC on it is just as loud and doesnt change.
              1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Comment

check your alternator. Open up the hood with the car on and i'll bet anything it's coming from your alternator. I'm having the same problem, but in my case it's because the alternator is having to put out more power because my battery has a dead cell. (need to replace my battery :( )

Comment

If you are hearing a loud click then it sounds to me like it is just the electric fans. I could be wrong though.
                  <b>Matt</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=1\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Z28 M6</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=3\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro M5</a>

Comment

Did somebody put in a supercharger when you weren't looking???? :D J?K

Check your pullies, I had this happen to me once.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X