rev limiter/speed limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rev limiter/speed limiter

i don't exactly understand how these work...is 4000 rpm's in fourth gear when the computers won't let us accelerate any more--thus creating a top speed limiter? or does the top speed limiter have nothing to do with the rev limiter? btw, can taking a car to the dealerships, will they take off either limiter?

btw, for my 97 camaro, what are some computer chip devices (like hpp3) that i can personally buy that will both recalibrate my cpu when i switch to 3.42 gears and will get rid of my top speed limiter/rev limiter? thx in advance.

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Moved to Gen.Tech.

Comment

The speed limitor has nothing to do with your RPM's. Your car must just be hitting 118mph at 4000 RPM which sounds about right. A dealer can remove your speed limiter...BUT they most likly won't. Mine was removed but its was because 1: they forgot to put it on when they had to reprogram my PCM or 2: the guy who did the reprogram was very cool and left it off for me. Your best bet is a chip but I don't know much about whats out right now.
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

i thought there wasn't anything that could remove the speed limiter(?)

Comment

so did I. I just got lucky I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]
          White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

obviously :D
            nice..

Comment

I got my removed by a friend with connections to the pontiac dealership for $20. :D

-DrkMind11
              <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

interesting.... how can i check to see if my '96 firebird has her speed limiter intact or not?
                \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostatlantis:
                  interesting.... how can i check to see if my '96 firebird has her speed limiter intact or not?<hr></blockquote>

Punch the gas and if you stop around 118 its intact. :D

Comment

btw I've heard revlimiter (speed limiter) kicks in at the point where you would redline in 3rd gear.

Listen to this. Ever race someone up to this point and when you hit about 111 it shifts into OD. That cuts your accleration. Throw the shifter into D (3rd) and it'll now take the car to 118@6000RPMs. The car seems to shift to the OD at 111 (4900RPMs) because it wants to smooth your acceleration out so you don't feel the big cutoff.

Comment

btw keeping it in 3rd from 111-118 wow what a strong pull. After all I am at my max HP range 5200RPMs. Trust me, you'll feel the car pull like a bat out of hell. :D

Comment

Be careful downshifting like that, the 4L60E likes to eat clutch packs when you do stuff like that.
                        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

why would that be harmful? I'm just letting it run to redline, the same way it would run if I were to floor it through 1st and 2nd.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X