Power Window Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Window Problem

Window runs fine but I've blown 6 motors (car has 39K on it) and I'm afraid of it going again (no more 3yr/36K warranty) and I think I know the problem but don't know how to fix it. Here we go:

Window goes up and down fine (mechanically) but the inside rubber part sticks to the window so the motor strains to pull the window down. Once it reaches near the bottom, the motor has been pulling so hard it just drops (and makes a nice thud). I've tried WD-40, some other think I bought in Home Depot that's suppose to fix this, and I've tried vegtible oil.

See I know this is the problem because when I pry the rubber away, the window goes up and down like a charm. Any ideas?

to hell with the no warranty any more thing. you better take your car down to the dealership and raise some hell about it. If they've replaced SIX of them, then appearantly there actually IS a problem. If they were unable to fix the SOURCE of the problem blowing yet another motor then it's up to them to fix it. It will depend on the dealership how far you can go with this. When I last had warranty work done I was at 35,960 miles (40 miles left). The dealership told me if anything related to what they replaced (a lot of stuff in the rear end and in the clutch assembly) that I should contact them and make them aware of it and they would fix it for it. They should have enough faith in their labor and new parts that there should be no problem really. Even if there is a problem with that, your motor itself should have at least like a one year warranty for the replacement motor or something like that.

HTH
    Mike<br />\'99 Z28 LS1 (383 in the works) M6<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/\" target=\"_blank\">stereo pics</a> Almost sold, the amps are still for sale - make an offer.<br /><a href=\"http://members.fbody.com/drmilhouse/paypal.html\" target=\"_blank\">Help Mike pay for his engine. Every dollar helps!</a>

Comment

yea I've already had something after the warranty fixed due to past complaint.

But does ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THE RUBBER PART yourself? Read my first post for details.

Comment

The rubber part is a water seal, and it should have a fuzzy coating on the inside. (sorry for the non-technical explanation)

Feel the inside of the inner seal, it should be pretty fuzzy. The inside of the outer seal isn't quite as fuzzy, but it's harder rubber.

On my old car (a mustang II, yes, the pintostang) that fuzzy stuff would wear off and the window would act just like your is. (not motorized, but the hand crank was crazy hard... sometimes it would even suck the seal down into the door. THAT was fun)

Anyway, have them replace the seals along with the motor. (You should also point out that this is a pretty obvious fix, if that turns out to be the problem)

Good Luck!

-Brian
        Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

ok thanks buddy. I'll have to go check that out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X