is my starter going bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my starter going bad??

I know this may be a hard thing to diagnose w/o actually hearing the car start, but I figure Id ask anyway in hopes someone knows exactly what im talking about.

The car has 62K miles on it. I just bought it a few weeks ago. I installed a Granetelli mass air flow sensor on it and drove it for approx 200 miles hoping the SES lite would go out and the computer would get use to it. However, it didnt so i took the thing off this afternoon. Well this morning (early, 6am) i tried to start the car and it hesitated. I figured just a one time deal. Got to the airport and tried again after picking a friend up. He even commented on the hesitating starting. A 3rd time I actually had to crank it twice!

So thats when the Granitelli came off!

It sounds like a weak battery, but the batt is showing fine! I hear a lot of clicking from the inside as its trying to crank. Kinda sounds like its coming from behind the instrument cluster.

Any info?
    Thanks

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: jmeccia ]</p>
    Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Could be your starter or fuel pump. My car acted like that when the fuel pump started going bad. When my started died it just died. No warning nothing I was at autozone and the damn thing just died. No click nothing. Started fine when I left too.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

mine did the same thing for a while...it seemed like it had been starting slow...then one day it just wouldnt start...it ended up being a bad battery...
      <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

I had something like that happen also recently, I thought it was the starter also, but it turned out to just be the battery. The guages in the car read fine, but the battery was about toasted.
        \'95 Med. Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 A4<br />Bunch o\' mods<br /><b>10.18 @ 67.60 mph 2.22 60 ft (1/8 mile)</b> <br /><br />-1986 Camaro with a carbed 350<br /><b>8.53 @ 81.45mph 1.8 60\'</b><br />AIM CamaroL32

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CamaroL32:
          I had something like that happen also recently, I thought it was the starter also, but it turned out to just be the battery. The guages in the car read fine, but the battery was about toasted.<hr></blockquote>

Turns out it was just a dead battery! Good call! But thanks everyone else! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The guys at Autozone tested my batt for me.. oh yeah, a whopping 3V!! But, makes sense it was the original battery... 4 years!! Not bad [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks
          Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X