Here's a fun misfire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a fun misfire!

Here we go, 99 V6 Camaro (friend of mine).

Swapped wires and plugs 3 months ago, then it just starts misfiring and running altogether crappy.

Pulled codes, says cylinder 6 is misfiring. Okay, pulled the spark plug wire, reseated, seemed okay for a minute, then it went crappy again.

So, we think we have a bad wire. Swap wire, swap sparkplug in just that cylinder, still running bad.

Next, tried swapping coils around. Still nada. Cylinder 6 still misfiring like crazy. Put the old spark plug wire and arced it to the manifold, we're getting a spark there.

So what the heck could the problem be? Getting a spark, spark plug is brand new.

Stumped,
    Amanda
    2002 Sunset Orange V6 Camaro (My baby)<br />K&N Air Filter, SS I Pipe, Pacesetter Headers, 3\" electric cutout.<br /><br />So far... saving for more...

bad coil pack possibly,
    try getting a replacement
    I will take on all comers...or come on all takers!!! Whichever you prefer.

Comment

Plug wire fried, and #6 loves to fry. But good wires, and heat coating of some sort. Spend the money now and save future frustration!
      94 Firebird 3.4 - RIP<br />97 Firebird 3.8 - In the works

Comment

I'd check your coils, our cars have had some trouble with them in the past. I had a similar problem and had new coils put in and everything runs great now.

Comment

Check the plate the coils sit on.

Comment

take the the coil packs and icm off.. clean up the contacts..sand down if necessary. reessemble.. and put back on. thats what i had to do
            96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Fuel injector maybe... has anyone else thought of that possibility?
              2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

Comment

Originally posted by PiLOTLiTE:
                Check the plate the coils sit on.
                my thoughts exactly. i had the same issue. brought it to a mech, they changed everything possible and didnt change that "plate". normally, it would throw a code if that plate goes bad, but in my case it took it a while for it to give a code.

Comment

It could very well be that plate jbfirebird22 talks about, if not it has got to be a bad fuel injector then.

Question AmandaV6Sunset:
                  Does the miss seem to clear up at higher rpms? Or is the #6 missing throughout the rpm range?
                  2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

Comment

when i had that same issue, they changed everything INCLUDING the injectors. its a hell of alot cheaper to change the "plate" out

Comment

I had the same problems and did the same things you did to troubleshoot my 96 firebird, I had a bad injector, try switching 6 and 4, its not hard, and see if the problem moves, if so then its an injector.

Comment

red01maro - where in cincinnati you from???

amanda - definitely make sure the coil is seated properly on the module, check to make sure ALL leads are spotless clean, try again with known good plugs and wires. if that doesn't help check injectors...

are you 100 % sure cyl 6 is the ONLY plug misfiring?
                        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X