Car is sputtering under acceleration...help. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car is sputtering under acceleration...help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is sputtering under acceleration...help.

On my way back from lunch I noticed my car would sputter when I tried to accelerate a little harder than normal. Under normal load and easy driving it seems fine but if I give it just a little more gas it sputters and hesitates and feels like something is slipping (possible tranny issue?). Anywho, in neutral it revs freely and isn't idling choppy or anything. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    99 3.8 Camaro<br />Intake Mods: K&N filter, Whisper lid, free ram air, !air silencer, !maf screen<br />Exhaust Mods: Flowmaster 80 series, 3\" I-pipe, 3\" Cutout<br />Suspension: Intrax Springs (2\" drop)<br />Misc.: Fan switch mod, Hayden transmission cooler

could be it kicking down to overdrive, sounds like it. I didnt know what it was either.

Try (when it starts sputtering) slam on the gas, should kick into the next gear, or just drive in D
    brink<br />1998 White Camaro 3.8L V6:<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />No cat (straight pipe)<br />Free Ram-Air<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98</a>

Comment

If your tranny was slipping you'd be able see the tach fluctuate (sp?) with the slip. I had a simular problem a while ago, hesitation and sputtering under acceleration. After about of month of scratching my head, checking the gapping of my pluggs, plugg wires, u name it. I changed gas stations, ahhh! it got better. I also added some water remover and octain booster to clean it out.

Chris
      BLAHHHH!<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/chris98\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/chris98</a>

Comment

Yeah, thats pretty much what I came up with. Either something with the tranny or a bad batch of gas. When I was driving I put it in drive but it still sputtered when I tried to accelerate a little harder, not even close to WOT. I'll try switching gas and throwing in some octane booster later.
        99 3.8 Camaro<br />Intake Mods: K&N filter, Whisper lid, free ram air, !air silencer, !maf screen<br />Exhaust Mods: Flowmaster 80 series, 3\" I-pipe, 3\" Cutout<br />Suspension: Intrax Springs (2\" drop)<br />Misc.: Fan switch mod, Hayden transmission cooler

Comment

I almost know its ur plugs and or wires or coil packs. Happened to me and it just so happened that one of wires was not put back on the plug all the way when I changed em. I still got new wires anyway though cause I was planning on getting them anyway. Check em out
          Garrett<br /><br />2001 WS9 W68 Blackbird A4<br />Custom Turbo...Chrome ZO6...WS9 Hood...<br />Custom Leather Interior...<br />much much more...see website<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/637795/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/637795/</a>

Comment

Either ignition or fuel are the probable causes...
            1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Clogged Fuel filter?

Comment

Fuel filter outta be good, got it replaced not to long ago. The strange thing is, I havent had time to get more gas and the problem seems to have fixed itself. The only thing about that day that I noticed was that it was SUPER humid because we just got a bunch of rain and then it got really hot, since it dried up it seems ok, coincidence? maybe. Maybe not. But I still need to try some higher octane gas from a different gas station.

Comment

okay...i'm 100% sure that it's one of your coil packs... when it gets humid or wet, moisture forms on the ingition module plate and can cause a misfire. take them off and have them all tested to find which one(s) is/are damaged.
                  1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

i bought new coil packs, wires and plugs, changed my fuel filter, added some Heet water remover,... still the missing continues

Comment

^ who's this guy?

and to expand on my first post, i suggest when u pull off the coil packs you should clean the ignition plate w/ some baking soda and water.

[ March 09, 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: mrbako ]
                      1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

I'ma guy whose car does tha same thing as dude was talk'n about and idk what's go'n on w/it and........ u are?

Comment

check your cat. if its clogged up it can cause a misfire. if you can hear something rattling when your sitting at a drive-thru or the like, your cat is bad
                          <a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/e/defrag/sig.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">1997 Firebird V6-Y87/W68</a>

Comment

Re: Car is sputtering under acceleration...help.

Yeah Mines doing the same thing as the other guys. I thought it might be the tranny but you have put my mind to rest. I changed plugs and wires about 25xxx miles again. I have changed all coil packs in the past year. The weather today in stl was 80 and partly sunny and not very humid and it was still doing it. I am at a loss. I am maybe thinking fuel injectors. Where do you take them to get them tested. also if it is missing once or twice under wot why isn't the ses light comming on? Also I don't know if it a clue either but my fiance and I think last week the we smelled rotten eggs or road kill or something like a fart in my car maybe comming from the vents or somewhere but I havent smelled it this week. I just thoought it was odd.
                            Last edited by Brian99; 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X