Surging Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surging Idle

My Camaro has a problem with while it is idling. It kinda surges in between 900 and 600 rpm's. The car also shakes really bad while in drive. If I ake it out of drive the shaking stops, but it idles that same way. Any suggestions on what might cause this? Thanks in advance.
    \'94 3.4 Black Camaro

Just a wild guess I would say it sounds like your plugs/wires/or coil pack(s) could be worn or fouled up. Or at least thats what I would check first. Make sure your wires & your coil packs are all good and all your sparkplugs aren't fouled. It's a good practice to keep up on too. To do that either read up in your chilton's manual (which I recommend to everyone by the way) or search some other posts. I know i've mentioned how to properly check wires/coil packs a few times now. Good luck

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Ted ]</p>

Comment

I have replace the plugs and wires twice now with no change. I have accel 8mm wires and AC Delco Rapidfire plugs.
      \'94 3.4 Black Camaro

Comment

Run diagnostics on your throttle position sensor (TPS). I think it runs around .5 ohms if you have acess to a tech II. And yes, a tech II will diagnose your car even though it's a 3.4.
        Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

Where can I pick up a tech II and how much do they cost?
          \'94 3.4 Black Camaro

Comment

Take out the IAT sensor and clean the port and the sensor itself. If that does not help you might need a new sensor. The IAT is mostly the cause of a surging idle.
            2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

I had a problem with my idle last year, it surged REEEEL bad! Turned out to be my IAC Sensor. I'm not sure where the 3.4 IAC is located though.

Marc
              sigpic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by toast:
                Take out the IAT sensor and clean the port and the sensor itself. If that does not help you might need a new sensor. The IAT is mostly the cause of a surging idle.<hr></blockquote>

I meant to say IAC not IAT. I always get them mixed up.

:mad:
                2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

even if you haven't thrown a service engine light, check your O2 sensors. I had the SAME problem and when I got it replaced, problem stopped.

Comment

I replaced the O2 sensors not too long ago. I'll try cleaning the IAC thing too. I'll check the Chilton's manual to see where it is. I'll let you know if it helps.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Black3.4Camaro ]</p>
                    \'94 3.4 Black Camaro

Comment

Cleaning the IAC sensor didn't help any.
                      \'94 3.4 Black Camaro

Comment

What does IAC stand for...will make it easier to find in chilton's [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Idle Air Control

Comment

I cleaned my IAC about six times, but replacing worked MUCH BETTER! Go to Autozone, it costs about $26.00 there.

Marc
                            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              3 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X